DIY Auto Start / Stop Generator Control using Remote

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
What about a washer/dryer? I didn't see that in your breaker-panel arrangement (maybe I missed it)
I believe if we look at the panel layout and plan it mentions Generator Sub Panel. This panel is generally reserved for those items deemed necessary during a mains power outage. Things like refrigerator, freezer, lighting and anything else we might deem essential or if we have power to spare we can include the nice to have things. :)

My initial system was only 4 KW and my primary goal was to supply the medical support equipment in my mother-in-law's room. Things like washer, electric drier and other non essential appliances were not included in my generator sub panel. My guess would be the same in this case where Slegehammer is only supporting what he feels are essential.

Ron

Sledgehammer_1

Joined Mar 5, 2018
I believe if we look at the panel layout and plan it mentions Generator Sub Panel. This panel is generally reserved for those items deemed necessary during a mains power outage. My guess would be the same in this case where Slegehammer is only supporting what he feels are essential.

Ron
Exactly.

Progress. Don't mind the odd building materials, I'm using construction throw aways from the surrounding homes under construction.
IMG_2364.JPG IMG_2365.JPG IMG_2366.JPG

Sledgehammer_1

Joined Mar 5, 2018
Got the exhaust fan baffle box done tonight, I might open it up a bit.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0004.JPG Don't mind the tape, I was just testing out ducting the fan.
IMG_0003.JPG

Sledgehammer_1

Joined Mar 5, 2018
Got the roof on, the shingles are not permanent just to keep it dry.

Also think the baffle box may be too restrictive, I may have to open it back up.
image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Nice job with the transfer relays. The first major power outage all of this will really be appreciated. We can't imagine doing without after having emergency power for so long.

Ron

Is that really a transfer relay? It does not look like it's mechanically interlocked? Is it possible for the grid and the gen to be engaged at the same time if there is a failure of some part?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You really want that mechanical lockout, that hepls prevent really ugly things from happening. :)

Additionally looking at the transfer contactors you really only want to switch the mains and backup voltage, you do not want to switch the neutral or ground. The wiring should be AWG 10 (30 Amp service).

Ron

Sledgehammer_1

Joined Mar 5, 2018
Thanks Ron, the relays have a mechanical interlock between them, with it installed -as it is in my case- it is impossible for both switches to be engaged.

Your right about the neutral, I will likely bridge them to keep it clean.

Thanks -Reed

Sledgehammer_1

Joined Mar 5, 2018
Thanks Ron, It took a bit of work. I wired it all up initially, flipped the main breaker for the DSP and the contactor skeezed out. The grid contactor would not fully engage, so I turned off the breaker and tested the generator side which worked fine. So I pulled the grid contactor out and broke it down, once apart I noticed that the electrical interlock tab that slots into the contact position button had been installed in the wrong position (too low) and as a result it would not let the contactor fully close. A quick realignment of the tab into the correct slot and everything works right as rain.

Now that the wiring is all done and verified (still need to do some clean up work) I can focus on finishing out the gen shack. The exhaust fan is not moving enough air to clear the exhaust adequately, resulting in the engine stumbling minutes after starting. So here is my plan:
  1. Remove the baffle boards in the baffle box (reduce restriction)
  2. Plug the ceiling mounted fan into 120v outlet tied to the DSP. This fan will then be controlled by a thermostat mounted inside the genshack. So the fan should run when the generator is on and the shack warms up and as importantly on hot days the fan will will help ventilate the shack when the generator isn't running. I think this is critical due to the possibility of off gassing from the fuel tank on hot days.
  3. Install an exhaust extractor fan plugged directly into the generator (only on when generator is operating)
I got a darn good deal on a 6" centrifugal fan rated at 450cfm. A 4" pipe adapter will be attached to the exhaust housing right in front of the engine exhaust port. This attachment will not be sealed to the exhaust port so that it is able to draw surrounding air in as well (to cool the exhaust gasses). Then a 4" flex pipe will duct the exhaust to a 4" to 6" reducer. This reducer will have various ports cut in it so that the fan can draw additional air to mix and cool the exhaust gasses.

Finally, I think I am going to hold off on automated stop start controls. I don't want the generator to start up whenever there is a power outage as this may happen a lot more while I am not at the house, in which case there is no reason to have it running. I know there are ways to program and outfit the arduino to know if the house is occupied but that adds a whole extra level of complexity. For now the remote control for the unit works just fine from anywhere inside the house.