Generator Auto Start and Auto Stop

kitaldo

Joined Jul 24, 2010
Hi all this is my first post.

I have a static caravan in the middle of nowhere with no electricity supply. I am in the process of looking for a electric start desiel generator, Is it posible to wire it up so when i switch on a light the generator will start and stop when light is switched off.

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
To start, you can tell us in what part of the world you are. You say there's no power, so where are you going the get the power from to turn on the light.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Hi all this is my first post.

I have a static caravan in the middle of nowhere with no electricity supply. I am in the process of looking for a electric start desiel generator, Is it posible to wire it up so when i switch on a light the generator will start and stop when light is switched off.
Yes, it is possible for a generator to auto-start based on a demand for electricity. At least two different inventors have made such a circuit work, but to date no one has commercially developed such a product. The circuit is based on sensing a low resistance in a device connected to the generator such as when a switch is closed to complete a circuit through the filament of a light bulb.

In addition to the electrical complications, there are the normal operating conditions of an internal combustion engine to contend with. For example, most diesel engines require a glow plug that takes a few seconds to come up to temperature; gasoline engines require a choke mechanism, and there are other similar issues. It would take considerable engineering talent and effort to perfect the electrical and mechanical interfaces to make such a system practical.

I personally believe that the problems are not insurmountable and, in a previous life, I pushed hard for the development of such a system. Sadly, the engineers did what they often do when they receive requests for products that require creative solutions. They poo-pooed the idea, preferring to work on easier projects.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
I think you are looking at this a little in the wrong way. Instead of turning the light on and starting the generator you just need to flick "a switch" to start the generator. That will keep you away from any mains wiring. You would just be switching the "ignition" so to speak. I would need to have some circuit to control the starting sequence of the generator but that shouldn't be too hard.

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
Have a look at this diagram.This is a mono stable. when you press sw1 the mono stable will latch the relay. The relay will stay in this state until you press sw2

Attachments