DIY an FPGA development board, beginner

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thank you all. I have just a XC3S400-4TQG144C chip and I searched and found that i need at least theses components:
-a Configuration Memory Flash PROM, for example XCF04S
-an High speed asynchronous SRAM 256 kbit, give me an example??
-An EEPROM like AT24C08
-an oscillator
The problem is, which compatible components list should i order?
You seem intent on going down that road. How many times do you want to repeat the course before you have built a board adequate to do what is required to actually pass it?

The approach you are taking is like taking a driving course and being told that you are required to bring your own car. But, instead, you go out and purchase a set of tires and, upon realizing that you need an entire car, asking what engine, transmission, brakes and other components you need and then planning to design your own frame and electrical system and steering system, all because you mistakenly bought that set of tires and you want to use them.

ahmadgh11

Joined Aug 21, 2021
You will find that the cost of the components is more than purchasing a pre made and tested board.
what has your professor told you you need ?
I would hold my head in shame if I did not have a proper list of items required for a course,
are you going down the xilinx route, or one of the other manufacturers ?
have you looked on your local auction site for boards ?

have look here for some ideas on off the shelf boards,
https://www.joelw.id.au/FPGA/CheapFPGADevelopmentBoards

If you make your own board
whats your experience in soldering SMD parts such as the TQG144 you have ?
whats your experience in making PCB's , what sort of stack would you use, via size ?
do you have the cad software and the models you need to make the board ?

re the parts you mention
the XCF04S is EOL, no longer available from authorised supplies,
come to that , the spartan 3 is about the same,
Im hearing of lots of customers trying to purchase grey parts, and them being at best dead, at worse, un reliable.
Thank you sir. I have orcad pspice software to design PCB. If i could design PCB, then i ask local services to create and solder my customized PCB. I want xilinx like dev boards. There are domestic made dev boards in my area that are about 120$ . I want use the board for simple education purposes. It seems that finally i should buy a dev board!

ahmadgh11

Joined Aug 21, 2021
You seem intent on going down that road. How many times do you want to repeat the course before you have built a board adequate to do what is required to actually pass it?

The approach you are taking is like taking a driving course and being told that you are required to bring your own car. But, instead, you go out and purchase a set of tires and, upon realizing that you need an entire car, asking what engine, transmission, brakes and other components you need and then planning to design your own frame and electrical system and steering system, all because you mistakenly bought that set of tires and you want to use them.
. Exactly. Finally i should buy a simple cheap dev board . Maybe someday i will use my Spartan 3 that as drjohsmith said is a EOL to build my own one. Keep in mind, in my location Iran, the salary of a nurse is about 200-250 $ per month.
A labor worker earn around 150-200 $/month ....

FlyingDutch

Joined Mar 16, 2021
. Exactly. Finally i should buy a simple cheap dev board . Maybe someday i will use my Spartan 3 that as drjohsmith said is a EOL to build my own one. Keep in mind, in my location Iran, the salary of a nurse is about 200-250 $ per month.
A labor worker earn around 150-200 $/month ....
Hello,

I can reccomend such FPGA board with Xilinx Spartan6 IC "Mimas v.2" :

https://numato.com/product/mimas-v2-spartan-6-fpga-development-board-with-ddr-sdram/

It has many features like LEDS, DIP-Switches, Push Buttons, VGA connector, SD card, DDR memory chip. It is very convenient for learning and easy to use.`

Best Regards