Dissecting A Toy, what components are they?

gfyhv1922

Joined Jul 2, 2016
So my son told me that his police car was not working and I took it apart to fix it. Something was stuck on the piezzo (i think that is what it is called) but I became very curious about the internals of this toy.

The toy works like this:

1. you press a button on the upper headlights
2. it plays a sound, usually saying something like "this is the police" or something like that

When I took it apart, I noticed that there is a single IC that plays the sound (I am assuming it is an IC). I did not know this was possible. I cannot see the IC because it is hidden behind a black film (you can see on the photo with the text "Bottom Side"); so my first questions is, which IC plays sounds like this?

I searched around the internet but of course all I get is Arduino related articles. That is not helpful of course since this toy doesn't have arduino. I would like to know which IC it is so that I can make my own toys for my son :)

1.jpg 2.jpg

Second question is, what is this component and what does it do?

3.jpg

Thanks in advance for the responses!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You can get IC's with pre-programmed audio also some that you can custom program.'
The device appears as a lamp of some kind, if not a filament type, maybe gas filled, although it need fairly hi voltage for neon!.
Could be a LED of some kind?
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That black crud is called, "blob top". The ultimate cheap way to protect a pre-programmed audio chip.
That second thing looks like a lamp of some sort. Does it light up? If it does, it is a lamp of some sort. Filament style, LED? Gas discharge is unlikely because they need a lot of voltage (compared to a battery). For the transistors, just add a, "2" prefix. 2SB050. The 104 is a 0.1 uf capacitor. Orange, orange, brown is 330 ohms.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You don't have a prayer of doing anything with the chips. they are custom designed, undocumented, and placed right on the PC board and epoxied in place.

gfyhv1922

Joined Jul 2, 2016
Hi!

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify some things:

1. I don't intend on reusing the IC. I just want to know what are the ICs that I can acquire so that I can record my own sound exactly the same way that this toy does it.

2. About the Lamp looking component, it doesn't light up. There is no opening on the other side either to have this light shine through. Isn't it one of those components that when it gets close to a magnet, it closes?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Hi!

2. About the Lamp looking component, it doesn't light up. There is no opening on the other side either to have this light shine through. Isn't it one of those components that when it gets close to a magnet, it closes?
It is possible it is a reed switch, but not obvious, it would have to get activated with a magnet.
Max.

The component in the third photo is a lamp and it actually works on 4.5 to 6 volts (like 3 or 4 AA batteries). i had a lot of toys and most of them had these lamps.