Displaying Alphabet Letters in a 5 x 5 Led Matrix using basic gates

kran27

Joined Oct 17, 2016
May be you can start by displaying the first alpha "A" in your table like this.
I program the 2732 using my 8051 assembler to generate a BIN file.

If the EPROM is not allowed, you might think of a way using address decoders and diodes to form the data for the characters thus replacing the eprom.

But this type of job is best done using a mcu...:)
View attachment 137100

Thanks for your advice and for the circuit sir..

kran27

Joined Oct 17, 2016
There is software and online tools that can do this for you. Would your prof consider this cheating?

I don't think I would for such a large (and redundant) problem.

Are you sure you understood his instructions? It seems like an awfully large project to complete independently and by hand. And the incremental returns (accumulated experience) will diminish with each successfully completed K-map.

It's like asking a business student to learn double-entry accounting by trudging through dozens of similar transactions.
Yes that is the only instruction he said to us. I've been struggling with this project and I've only got 2 weeks to work on it. Would please give me the link of the software you are talking about sir?

Last edited by a moderator:

kran27

Joined Oct 17, 2016
There is software and online tools that can do this for you. Would your prof consider this cheating?

I don't think I would for such a large (and redundant) problem.

Are you sure you understood his instructions? It seems like an awfully large project to complete independently and by hand. And the incremental returns (accumulated experience) will diminish with each successfully completed K-map.

It's like asking a business student to learn double-entry accounting by trudging through dozens of similar transactions.
Yes sir , I understand the instructions properly. He only said that we can only use those IC/Gates that he discussed from us, which is AND,OR,NOT,NAND,NOR,XOR, XNOR,COMPARATOR(BCD to 7segment).
Can you please give me the link of the software you mentioned sir ?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
@WBahn, is this acceptable?
I assume you are asking if it is okay to provide a link to the software?

Is it available as freeware or sharewhare? Is there a free trial associated with it?

I'll put it up for consideration amongst the staff/owners, as I'm not sure I have a firm handle on the owner's intent on this point.

Thanks for asking, BTW.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
@WBahn, is this acceptable?
A couple of us batted it around and we think it's okay. In general, I'm not fond of encouraging students to use such tools because most will abuse them and let the tool do their thinking. But, as you say, it's only a Google search away in any case.