Display for a reference signal

Rennieaj

Joined May 6, 2018
Hi, Ive tried building a prototype on a bredboard, although, its not working as expected, probably haven't done it right.
I know its a lot to ask, but could you give me some advice on component placement?

much appreciated

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Hi, Ive tried building a prototype on a bredboard, although, its not working as expected, probably haven't done it right.
I know its a lot to ask, but could you give me some advice on component placement?
How is it not working?
It's very easy to make a wiring mistake when wiring a breadboard.
Double-check all connections versus the schematic using an ohmmeter.

This circuit should have no critical requirements for component placement.
Typically I would use a layout that generally follows the schematic as much as possible (signal flow left to right).
Makes it easier to troubleshoot.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014

much appreciated
I'd be happy to try some component layout ideas, but can't make any promises on how soon, maybe in the next few days.

In the meantime, what is it doing or not doing? Any signs of life at all, or no?
  • Are you getting 5V from regulator?
  • Are any/all of the LEDs lighting?
  • What voltages do get out of the wiper of VR1 with the knob at both extremes? (hopefully around 2.72-2.92)
  • Is the output from U2.1 the same as the VR1 readings above?
With any luck, we might be able to troubleshoot this. In addition to trying some measurements, you could also post a pic of your current breadboard layout and I'll take a look at it.

Sorry to not start with the layout advice you requested... I can do that too, it's just trickier timing. I spend several hours a day on buses and trains commuting with my smartphone, so reading, writing, and viewing pics are easy. Laying out circuits has to be done during my limited time at home, thus the slower responses.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Well, l started to draw a layout in DipTrace, but quickly realized that it wouldn't do a good job of clearly showing wire connections on a breadboard...

So I tried it in Fritzing. The graphic output of Fritzing is perfect for showing breadboard layouts. I got the schematic entered without any trouble and started on breadboard layout, but the interface kept fighting me - grabbing the wrong wires and components to edit, etc. and I ran out of time only about halfway done.

Now I'm in the middle of several weeks of hectic madness, deadlines, travel, etc. It'll probably be at least two more weeks before I can seriously look at drawing this up.

If you have time to try some of the tests suggested by crutschow and I, you can probably have this project running before then. If not, I'll take another crack at Fritzing in a few weeks.

Cheers!