Display for a reference signal

Rennieaj

Joined May 6, 2018
hello,
This is my first post on here so bear with me please.
I play the bagpipes in a band and we use a meter to tune our pipes. We take a reading from the master set and tune the rest to that value. I calibrate and look after our meters and have a bit of electronics knowhow. I want to add some functionality to the meter so that when we take a reading we can hit a button which stores a reference value, this will be displayed via 3 leds, if the left one is lit it is too low (flat) middle is the target and right is too high (sharp). This value can be reset so I assume it will need some kind of memory function. Can anyone please please help.
Thanks

Rennieaj

Joined May 6, 2018
Adding the youtube has confused me. You want a 3 LED output, right?
Yes, similar to the one on the video in a previous thread, one for target reached, one for flat and one for sharp. Hit a button to take a reference and probably another to reset

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
On a analogue needle display, can I take the inputs from that as my inputs for the additional circuitry?
Yes, likely.
You would need to measure the meter voltage (both across the meter and to circuit common) to determine where you want the LEDs to light

A comparator circuit could be configured to light the left and right LEDs at the desired voltages with a window comparator for the center LED.

The comparators could likely be configured as latches to save the reading or a separate FF latch circuit used.

Rennieaj

Joined May 6, 2018
Yes, likely.
You would need to measure the meter voltage (both across the meter and to circuit common) to determine where you want the LEDs to light

A comparator circuit could be configured to light the left and right LEDs at the desired voltages with a window comparator for the center LED.

The comparators could likely be configured as latches to save the reading or a separate FF latch circuit used.

Rennieaj

Joined May 6, 2018
That all sounds great, thanks,
Would you happen to have any diagrams and what components I would need to purchase to achieve?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That all sounds great, thanks,
Would you happen to have any diagrams and what components I would need to purchase to achieve?
Yes.
But I need the voltage measurements I mentioned to give you a proper design.
What is the battery voltage for the device?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
One could also use an arduino. It can measure the period of a mic input. That period count can be stored and used as a reference for the next mic input. That second input.....will be less than, equal too, or higher than that first count. That result will light one of three LEDs.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Okay, if you can post those meter measurements, I'll try to gin up a circuit for you.
Measure the voltage across the meter for the desired points for the LEDs to light, along with the voltage measurements for each of those desired meter deflections from each terminal of the meter to the minus terminal of the 9V battery.

Rennieaj

Joined May 6, 2018
One could also use an arduino. It can measure the period of a mic input. That period count can be stored and used as a reference for the next mic input. That second input.....will be less than, equal too, or higher than that first count. That result will light one of three LEDs.
I welcome all suggestions, Im not familiar with ardunio, what does it involve?
Okay, if you can post those meter measurements, I'll try to gin up a circuit for you.
Measure the voltage across the meter for the desired points for the LEDs to light, along with the voltage measurements for each of those desired meter deflections from each terminal of the meter to the minus terminal of the 9V battery.
I’m not sure I understand, the result can be different from time to time, there won’t be a set value

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Arduino is a company that produces various microprocessor configuration boards.

There are several other companies that do the same thing.......but arduino is real popular with hobbyist. It has a simple free software interface for beginners.

Some of the small boards might fit inside your existing equipment.

It was just an alternative suggestion. You would have to learn to program.

It might be worth a read. Unless your purpose is singular.

One could record, store or add as many references as you want.