Discovering the Blues (music)

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
What a funny, clever, and sexy song:

I think this is the original artist. A version by Johnny Jones is much better, IMHO, but I cannot find a good YouTube version of it.

...and all those years of those classic blues tunes gave rise to some great and original rock in the late '60s and early 70s

have to put this one (actually 29 of them) in this thread

in late 1968 - some incredible personnel here
Edited to add: I did not even know this existed. Clapton looks like he is'nt old enough to drink, but his style is unmistakable. I found the sarcastic intro conversation hilarious - I think these guys really hated the record industry hype that they had to contractually put up with, Why did they wait so long to release it I wonder? (background here). @joeyd999 - you were probably back there enjoying a cold one with Yoko - what was the mood like?

and a couple of, maybe lesser known, personal favorites...

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
...and all those years of those classic blues tunes gave rise to some great and original rock in the late '60s and early 70s

have to put this one (actually 29 of them) in this thread

in late 1968 - some incredible personnel here
Edited to add: I did not even know this existed. Clapton looks like he is'nt old enough to drink, but his style is unmistakable. I found the sarcastic intro conversation hilarious - I think these guys really hated the record industry hype that they had to contractually put up with, Why did they wait so long to release it I wonder? (background here). @joeyd999 - you were probably back there enjoying a cold one with Yoko - what was the mood like?

and a couple of, maybe lesser known, personal favorites...

That Fleetwood Mac version was simply amazing, nice find.

kv

Edit: I'll have to share this with my friends.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
That Fleetwood Mac version was simply amazing, nice find.
While it may be listed as "fleetwood mac", I'm pretty sure it's not what is thought of as "fleetwood mac". It's a precursor that was actually called, "Peter Green's fleetwood mac". I have a very bad vinyl 2 record set of the Peter Green fleetwood mac version, so badly scratched it's unlistenable. But all of the songs on it are covers of old blues hits and some unknown blues.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleetwood_Mac_(1968_album)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
While it may be listed as "fleetwood mac", I'm pretty sure it's not what is thought of as "fleetwood mac".
Depends how old you are, and this makes me feel old. I think of Fleetwood Mac as that original stuff. The popular stuff everybody knows about is under the same name but, to me, is a completely different thing - a pop band version of a real band.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Depends how old you are, and this makes me feel old. I think of Fleetwood Mac as that original stuff. The popular stuff everybody knows about is under the same name but, to me, is a completely different thing - a pop band version of a real band.
Most good bands go through that sort of early, high quality phase... like Pink Floyd, for instance

Amen to that!

From Wikipedia:
"Fleetwood Mac were founded by guitarist Peter Green, drummer Mick Fleetwood and guitarist Jeremy Spencer. They lacked a permanent bass guitarist for the first few months before Green convinced John McVie to join, establishing the first stable line-up in time to record their first album. Danny Kirwan joined as a third guitarist in 1969....

BTW: "and this makes me feel old"....... to quote Dr. McCoy, "What's so damn troublesome about not having died?" :)

Local is always best. -----
You have a point there for sure. I was amazed to learn of some recordings of the Mr. Stress Blues Band that I had seen many times, many years ago.

Mr. Stress was local and stayed local for his entire life...and was a great blues harp player and a decent singer. His bands were always good.

The guitarist at the time of these recordings was Charles Drazdik - a tall skinny white kid sometimes jokingly referred to as "Pontiac Slim". I met him a couple of times - seemed like a real nice guy. Boy, could he play! Here he is on another tune where he is going to town.

The venue where this was recorded was full of style - a dump by many people's standards, but still very rich in character...and characters. I remember well a waitress there - feisty as all get out...and when it was time to get out, she would scream..."MOTEL TIME BABIES..you don't have to go home but you can't stay here".

I read that Mr. Stress died a couple of years ago - I am so thankful that he was around and that I could listen - good stuff!

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I was unable to think that sound came from a Guitar, but thought if you were to strike piano strings you might produce a sound like it possibly, I just didn't deduct it was a mid size or small Piano which was a good guess on the part of the Dr. I'm not a piano player, is it even possible to hold the keys down then strike the strings with a pick to possibly produce that sound? Anyone, anyone?

Very interesting article, good find.

kv

Last edited: