Disable this beeper?

soopytwist

Joined Dec 23, 2016
I have Mylek tower fan. It has a timer option to turn off after a period of time, this is quite useful to have it turn off at bedtime when I have hopefully fallen asleep. Unfortunately it beeps very loudly when it turns off, which is a pretty stupid design! It wakes me up when it does this which defeats the object of having it on before I go to sleep.

Looking at the PCB the beeper is mounted behind an LCD screen and that is glued to the PCB has well as many delicate pins so I don't fancy removing it to get at the beeper. On the solder side I've tested bridging the two solder points together (highlighed in the photo below) with a paperclip and this disables the beeper.

My question is if I permanently solder these two points together is this going to cause a problem?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
You might remove the solder from the exposed buzzer connection and use a countersink bit to remove copper from near the buzzer pin. This will also remove the end of the pin, increasing the gap to the copper.

soopytwist

Joined Dec 23, 2016
You might remove the solder from the exposed buzzer connection and use a countersink bit to remove copper from near the buzzer pin. This will also remove the end of the pin, increasing the gap to the copper.
The would be the sensible way. So joining the positive and negative would not be a good idea? There's only a tiny voltage going to it.

soopytwist

Joined Dec 23, 2016
Ooh, that would have been easier! Instead I removed what solder I could from the exposed pin and filed it down with a Dremel. This worked, no more beeping! Arguably much safer than deliberately shorting it as I was going to.

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
Can you be sure that that track doesn't go somewhere else uder the glued capacitor?
Yes. The other one is ground. It may have gone somewhere else.

That one runs the beeper through a capacitor. IF it goes somewhere else, it would be an LED. If something doesn’t work, its easy enough to fix.