disable lowbeam lights when turn signal is on

legend069

Joined May 26, 2020
i'm trying to build a circuit that will turn off the low beam lights when the turn signal is on

i've attached what i have so far.
the relays i have switch poles at 5 volts.
what i thought would work turns out it doesn't. once the first pulse triggers the relay the lowbeam constant now feeds the coil in the relay
that makes the relay stay triggerd till the lowbeam lights constant turn off. then the circuit is able to start again

i have tried a 1F capacitor but over roughly 30 seconds it works, then after that the capacitor isn't able to output enough voltage to trigger the relay.

any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My car has a high-beam setting, low-beam setting, and turn blinkers.

Driving with high-beams in traffic is against Ohio Code. Similarly, driving without headlights when they are required is also against code. Let's assume yo are driving at night in traffic. Thus, your high beams should be off. Now, you go to signal a turn and that turns off the low-beam. That could create a dangerous situation and is against Ohio law.

So my questions are, why do you want to do that and what is it to accomplish? On the other hand, lowering high-beam to low beam when turning might avoid blinding on coming traffic, but then if you are in such traffic, your headlights should already be on low beam.

legend069

Joined May 26, 2020
My car has a high-beam setting, low-beam setting, and turn blinkers.

Driving with high-beams in traffic is against Ohio Code. Similarly, driving without headlights when they are required is also against code. Let's assume yo are driving at night in traffic. Thus, your high beams should be off. Now, you go to signal a turn and that turns of the low-beam. That could create a dangerous situation and is against Ohio law.

So my questions are, why do you want to do that and what is it to accomplish? On the other hand, lowering high-beam to low beam when turning might avoid blinding on coming traffic, but then if you are in such traffic, your headlights should already be on low beam.
my car has a separate bulb for highbeams and will turn on separately from other switch activation's.
for example if i had the turn signal going right i will want the lowbeam light on the right side to turn off making the turn signal light much more visible. keeping the left lowbeam light on.( same thing for left turns )

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
for example if i had the turn signal going right i will want the lowbeam light on the right side to turn off making the turn signal light much more visible.
Gee, I wonder why car and truck makers haven't figured out to do this? To me from a distance it seems like your not using the correct bulb for your turn signals. The most commonly used bulbs for turn signals is eitehr the 1157 or 2057, the difference is the type of base on the bulb. But what is the same is the Watts for the turn signal - 26.8. If your not using a bulb of that or more Wattage you don't have the correct bulb.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Some cars come equipped to turn off the eyebrow lights when the turn signal is activated. But shutting off one headlamp just isn't done. At least not for street or highway driving. Off road - you can light your vehicle however you want (in most places I know of). Show cars can also have unusual light configurations. But when operating on the street or highway - you must comply with local laws. To do otherwise constitutes "Unauthorized Use of Lights". Had a friend who hooked low voltage Christmas lights in her car. She got a ticket. So it's best you check with your local laws to make sure what you want to do is legal. But keep in mind that what's "Legal" isn't always "Smart". Or "Right".

What you are asking for is a mono-stable retriggerable multivibrator circuit that has a time constant of around 1 or 2 seconds. That way when your signals go off for longer than that the headlight will turn back on. Are you up for the challenge?