Diode with 100 volt drop

wachanna

Joined May 26, 2021
Good day to you. Does anyone know of a diode that can handle 10 amps continuously and has a forward voltage/a voltage drop of 100 volts? A link to it or a part number i could google would be very kind of you. Thanks

Martin_R

Joined Aug 28, 2019
I'm assuming that you're after a 10Amp diode rated at 100 peak inverse volts! (P.i.v). Silicon diodes have a forward voltage drop of around 0.7v, and a rated reverse voltage known as the p.i.v. It's ok to select a higher piv for your needs, but not usually lower. So you need to be looking for a 100piv 10Amp diode. Hope this helps.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Good day to you. Does anyone know of a diode that can handle 10 amps continuously and has a forward voltage/a voltage drop of 100 volts? A link to it or a part number i could google would be very kind of you. Thanks
For the forward voltage to be 100V the current would need to be several orders of magnitude larger. Are you familiar with the exponential nature of the diode equation? The exponent is ≈ 3,846+, and e to that power is too big for my TI calculator.

1624896274091.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
can you expand upon what you want to do please
may be a quick schematic might help

I have feeling you are using words that we and you think of differently,

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
A big thermionic diode valve, or a mercury arc rectifier?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You could just connect 143 standard 10 amp (Or higher current rating.) in series. That would give you a volts drop of 143 x 0.7 = 100.1 volts drop. Bear in mind that you will have to find a way to get rid of the 1KW of heat the group of diodes will produce. Quite a large fan would be required to keep them cool. I too can't think of an application that would want a large forward voltage drop. In most situations you aim to have the smallest forward voltage drop.

Les.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
You could just connect 143 standard 10 amp (Or higher current rating.) in series. That would give you a volts drop of 143 x 0.7 = 100.1 volts drop. Bear in mind that you will have to find a way to the 1KW of heat the group of diodes will produce. Quite a large fan would be required to keep them cool. I too can't think of an application that would want a large forward voltage drop. In most situations you aim to have the smallest forward voltage drop.

Les.
You could use three or four 300W solar panels if you cover them with aluminium foil to keep them in the dark. There are about the right number of silicon pn junctions for that voltage drop, and they will take 10A.