Diode exercises for getting to know diodes.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I see a lot of posts on questions concerning basic diodes, LEDs and such. Here is an exercise to get to know various diodes. Two suggestions depending on what you have on hand for parts, The variable voltage source is handy to have built up on a small breadboard. Most any type of op amp and NPN transistor or power source can be used.

Attachments

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I see a lot of posts on questions concerning basic diodes, LEDs and such. Here is an exercise to get to know various diodes. Two suggestions depending on what you have on hand for parts, The variable voltage source is handy to have built up on a small breadboard. Most any type of op amp and NPN transistor or power source can be used.
1N270 Germanium diode example
An Excel file from the exercise saved in pdf. The resistors method was used then the results graphed.

Attachments

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
No, definitely. You'd be shocked at how small the number is, of people who ask those basic questions, who are willing to experiment to discover things for themselves; most just want to be handed the answers.
You know these people better than I do, certainly. Nonetheless they are not all engineers. A few may benefit from this stuff.