Digital Scope

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
My scope went kaput yesterday. The buttons does not respond :(

So I am looking for PC (USB)based one as they are cheaper u know.
Any one use any of this type.
I like some pointers in choosing a good one.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I understand this isn't what you are asking but received this special in an email yesterday and seems like $359.00 may be a pretty good deal on a 100MHZ digital scope.
Thanks alot :mad: Now every page I go to, this shows up, making me salivate!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

I own two of these, they're quite good for the price... I think... Although I've had a previous discussion in this group and it seems that a USB scope will never outdo a bench-top one...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I own two of these, they're quite good for the price... I think... Although I've had a previous discussion in this group and it seems that a USB scope will never outdo a bench-top one...
I don't think that this is an absolute, but in the practical world it probably might as well be. A dedicated benchtop scope has had a lot of time and effort put into being designed as a true measurement instrument and the cost reflects that while a USB scope has been driven by cost for a lower-end market.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I don't think that this is an absolute, but in the practical world it probably might as well be. A dedicated benchtop scope has had a lot of time and effort put into being designed as a true measurement instrument and the cost reflects that while a USB scope has been driven by cost for a lower-end market.
I edited my previous comment, adding a link to the previous discussion part of it... I suggest you have a quick look at that thread... in the end I kind of lean to your same opinion, anyway...

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT buy a USB scope! They are cheaper, but for good reason--they're total cr@p.

If you want a cheap digital (lcd) scope, I recommend the Rigol DS1052e (2-channel) or DS1054z (4-channel) scopes. The 1052 is around 300 USD and the 1054 is around 400 USD. I'd offer you my old 1052 for $200 but I don't know how shipping would work--it would probably get pretty expensive.

But DO NOT buy a USB scope. Not only are they cheap in the sense of cost, but their quality is very "cheap" as well.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
--they're total cr@p.
well... that really hurt my feelings... :( ha ha ha...
nahh, you're right, a stand-alone is definitely worth the price, from what I've learned in this forum. And most of them have USB outputs anyway... my next scope's gonna be a Rigol, definitely ... right after I get my bbq rib smoker this christmas

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Their accuracy tends to be very poor, you get less for your money, they're generally very cheap when it comes to build quality, and they're mostly just cr@p.

You may find this interesting:
I take some issue with the above, it is a matter of Horses for Courses.
Maybe like comparing a Lada with a Ferrari. They both do a job to a point.
I have both, an older Tektronix and a Syscomp D.B. storage scope.
For some applications, especially out in the field, I get a very decent result for the run of the mill applications with the S.S., where I don't need sophisticated lab analysis.
Just one particular example is aligning the commutation of BLDC motors. And also using it as an triggered event chart recorder.
Dave's blog does not cover the Syscomp also his issue they are not portable with a tower PC etc, but if mainly used with a small lap top they are.
If you are not doing high frequency high precision work they are fine for the odd run of the mill shop duty.
One nice feature is the data storage of previous scans.
I rarely drag my exceedingly heavy Tek 'scope out unless REALLY called for.
Max.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I take some issue with the above, it is a matter of Horses for Courses.
Maybe like comparing a Lada with a Ferrari. They both do a job to a point.
I have both, an older Tektronix and a Syscomp D.B. storage scope.
For some applications, especially out in the field, I get a very decent result for the run of the mill applications with the S.S., where I don't need sophisticated lab analysis.
Just one particular example is aligning the commutation of BLDC motors. And also using it as an triggered event chart recorder.
Dave's blog does not cover the Syscomp also his issue they are not portable with a tower PC etc, but if mainly used with a small lap top they are.
If you are not doing high frequency high precision work they are fine for the odd run of the mill shop duty.
One nice feature is the data storage of previous scans.
I rarely drag my exceedingly heavy Tek 'scope out unless REALLY called for.
Max.
Okay, that is a fair argument. But I'm sure we can both agree that nobody should have only a USB scope. They really don't work well as primary scopes.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013

What kind of scope did have before ??? I would tell you to buy a 4 channel Rigol scope... Most times you upgrade a lower mhz to a higher mhz with a software upgrade .. Just make sure to read the reviews before buying..

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
What kind of scope did have before ??? I would tell you to buy a 4 channel Rigol scope... Most times you upgrade a lower mhz to a higher mhz with a software upgrade .. Just make sure to read the reviews before buying..
I agree 100%. I upgraded my 1052e from 50MHz to 100MHz, took about a minute :p