digital potentiometer

Metoo25

Joined Sep 7, 2020
Hello. I am currently working on a project, where I have to build a people counter using IR sensor, I want the IR sensor to have a range up to 80cm. I have been told that I can use a digital potentiometer DS1804 for this and program the desired distance.
I would like to use my Arduino for programming the distance and therefore I need a little bit of help with programming this.

I have attached two pictures of the circuit if that would help.

Please let me know if you need more details.

Best regards
Metoo25

Attachments

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You need to give a LOT MORE information such as the type of IR sensor you are using, how and why you plan to use a digital potentiometer, and a schematic. The pictures are no help. It is not even possible to read the part number of the 8 pin DIL IC.

Les.

Metoo25

Joined Sep 7, 2020
Hello. I am currently working on a project, where I have to build a people counter using IR sensor, I want the IR sensor to have a range up to 80cm. I have been told that I can use a digital potentiometer DS1804 for this and program the desired distance.
I would like to use my Arduino for programming the distance and therefore I need a little bit of help with programming this.

Best regards
Metoo25
Pin 1 (INC) on the potentiometer goes to pin 12 on the Arduino.
Pin 2 (U/D) on the potentiometer goes to pin 13 on the Arduino.
Pin 4 (GND) on the potentiometer goes to ground (-)
Pin 5 (W) goes into a comparator.
Pin 7 (CS) on the potentiometer goes to ground (-)
Pin 8 (Vcc) has 5V coming in (+)

I want to figure out the resistance of the potentiometer and how I can programme the correct resistance.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Sam.
I have used a DS1804 many, many times in products, I just want to know what the TS expects it to do in his application, so that I can possibly help him
E

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
There are 3 versions of the DS1804. 10k, 50k and 100k.
Select the part, Then inc or dec the part. It you lost track of what position (value) then you will need to run the pot to one end. (inc 100 times) then bring it back to where you want to go.
1605100944085.png

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004

Best regards
Metoo25
What about the schematics?

Metoo25

Joined Sep 7, 2020
hi 25,
How do you expect the DS1804 to control the range to 70cms.??
What part does it play in the project.?
E
Hello.
It doesn't matter how DS1804-010 controls the range. I just want to know how to change the resistance of the digital potentiometer. All the pins are connected, I just need to know how to program it, in other words I need the code for the programming part.

Pin 1 (INC) on the potentiometer goes to pin 12 on the Arduino.
Pin 2 (U/D) on the potentiometer goes to pin 13 on the Arduino.
Pin 3 (H) is connected to (+) supply
Pin 4 (GND) on the potentiometer goes to ground (-)
Pin 5 (W) goes into a comparator.
Pin 6 (L) is connected to (-)
Pin 7 (CS) on the potentiometer goes to ground (-)
Pin 8 (Vcc) has 5V coming in (+)