Digital Potentiometer

Justin20062003

Joined Jun 14, 2018
Ok so I'm currently using regular linear taper potentiometers to control the voltage on a set of rca lines that run to my car amp for subwoofer speakers.

What I'm trying to figure out is, is it possible to use a Digital 50k Potentiometer (linear taper) with a micro controller (arduino uno) to do the same thing but instead of physically turning the potentiometer with a knob using a cell phone to increase or decrease the output voltage. Would you guys say that's possible?

Justin20062003

Joined Jun 14, 2018
It's not about avoiding work of turning a knob. It's about reducing the amount of wiring visible in the car and reducing dash space clutter.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It's not about avoiding work of turning a knob. It's about reducing the amount of wiring visible in the car and reducing dash space clutter.
If Arduino Uno doesn't have bluetooth or WiFi, you're going to need it. Plus an application that you'll need to write for both your phone and on the Arduino.

Justin20062003

Joined Jun 14, 2018
Oops that's my bad the Micro controller would be an arduino nano and I have a bluetooth module for it already. What I'm unsure about was is it possible to send commands via bluetooth to a microcontroller.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
OK.

I've used digital pots in various applications. If the power ratings are sufficient, then everything should work. I have seen a couple of simple slider type apps that send an analog value over Bluetooth. Translate that to your pot value and you should be golden.

I'll add that the pot's power rating would likely place it on the source signal rather than after any amplification.

Justin20062003

Joined Jun 14, 2018
Yeah the pot would go in line on 4v signal to the amp so the pot setup would be between the source and before the amp. My only concern with doing it was being able to send the signal from my phone. I wasnt sure if an app was able to communicate with the arduino nano or not but it sounds like it's already been done and doesn't seem all that complicated just going to take some time.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yeah the pot would go in line on 4v signal to the amp so the pot setup would be between the source and before the amp. My only concern with doing it was being able to send the signal from my phone. I wasnt sure if an app was able to communicate with the arduino nano or not but it sounds like it's already been done and doesn't seem all that complicated just going to take some time.
Yes, it is doable and it has been done.
It is like asking, can you create your own internet browser? Yes you can, but do you want to spend the time and effort learning how to do so?

Or as a simpler example, how would you create a calculator app for your smart phone?