Digital Multimeter Problem "-1" !!!

battery.13v

Joined Dec 20, 2015
Hello everyone, i have a Digital Multimeter DT9250, so yesterday i was firing a fire with a lighter (Electric Lighter), and i was concerned about the electricity in produce to make the spark :oops: .... So i dissassemble it, i bring my digital multimeter, i put it in the highest DC voltage and i test it .... However it suddenly rises to infenity and drops to -1, and stuck in -1 one in all the options(Amperage, Resistance, DC AC voltage, Frequencies, Capacitance) , and the continuity test is the only one who is working now .... Please Help me, i worked for 2 weeks to buy this Multimeter and i don't wan't to throw it to the junk .... :(

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Hello everyone, i have a Digital Multimeter DT9250

Welcome to AAC! Please use a normal font and retain large bold fonts for emphasis.

Open up the meter and see if it has a blown fuse or burned resistor. Don't see how an electric lighter would have been able to damage your meter but, apparently, it happened.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
If you tried to measure the spark voltage, you probably broke the meter. It is rated 1200V max overload. A spark lighter can generate tens of thousands of volts. Sorry.

battery.13v

Joined Dec 20, 2015
Sorry for the posting mistake ..... My digital multimeter is rated to 1000V DC, but we all know that when we exceed the amperage a Fuse blow up and you just have to change it , However in the Voltage testing we don't know what is the first component that will fail if Voltage Exceed the limit, so if someone know, please help me

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Your meter is toast.

The spark igniter puts out many thousands of volts, this would fry the input circuitry without the fuse even noticing.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Ouch, nice meter. Yea, it is toast. High voltage wipes a lot of things out. The fuse wasn't even in the path of destruction. Live and learn. Sorry guy.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hello everyone, i have a Digital Multimeter DT9250, so yesterday i was firing a fire with a lighter (Electric Lighter), and i was concerned about the electricity in produce to make the spark :oops: .... So i dissassemble it, i bring my digital multimeter, i put it in the highest DC voltage and i test it .... However it suddenly rises to infenity and drops to -1, and stuck in -1 one in all the options(Amperage, Resistance, DC AC voltage, Frequencies, Capacitance) , and the continuity test is the only one who is working now .... Please Help me, i worked for 2 weeks to buy this Multimeter and i don't wan't to throw it to the junk .... :(
Bummer. Can you send it back to the manufacturer for repair?