Digital IO Extension Board - RS485

tudstudent

Joined Jun 6, 2009
With this topic I would like to request feedback for a project I am busy with for some time now.
I am looking for feedback on the schematics as well ass the board layout/routing. I am no electronics engineer and this schematic is what I think should be working in "my theoretical world". However I would greatly appreciate if some of you experts would take a look.

Primary functions:
  • Switching 7 12V push button led lamps (build in the push button) (X2 X3 X4 X5 X18 X19 X20);
  • Switching of 2 solenoid's (24VAC) - (X1 & X17);
  • Switching of VAC lamps/outlet (230VAC) - (X13)
  • Detection of 7 push buttons pressed (X6 X7 X8 X9 X14 X15 X16);
  • Detection of 230VAC lamp switch on/off - (X12);
Transformer:
  • (1 transformer -> 1 primary - 2 secondary )
  • X11 = 16 VAC input from a transformer
  • X10 = 24VAC input from a transformer
Items which I am unsure about:
  • RS485 circuit in general (1 resistor or jumpers with additional 2 resistors to ground en 5V?);
  • Ground plane?
  • 60 ohm resistor on the 24VAC to power the solenoid?
    (solenoid characteristics: 370 mA inrush, 210mA holding, 50 HZ)
The print needs to be manufactured by a local company. Furthermore the print will be assembled in a watertight ABS enclosure.

Thank you in advance.
Board_rev5.png

Attachments

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
I have only had a quick look but I think your VO14642AT opto-mosfet devices are incorrectly wired - check the data sheet.
Unless your symbol is incorrect. You seem to have N-channel devices with the source going to the positive supply.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
I see no protective elements on your RS-485 lines.
This is a risky proposition for any real-world application.

Our fist version was naked like that, suffered as a result from nasty field failures and unhappy customers.

Have a look at the attached file, this is what we ended up with, not one failure since.

Attachments