Digital Goniometer attached to a plier

JackieRashad

Joined Oct 2, 2019
Hello Good day everyone,
I am a Masters student in the college of Dentistry and I have a project to do, which is incorporating a mini Digital Goniometer into a wire bending Plier.
- The main purpose is to be able to precisely measure the angle the plier could bend during bending the wire.
(eg. to digitally visualize the change in the wire angulation while crimping the plier and to stop when the desired angle is reached.)
- I need it to be mini in size to build it in the plier, simple, easy, feasable, and affordable.
When searching I came up with the idea of using Digital Absolute rotary encoder (A device that converts angular position to digital output)
1- How can I use such a device in a mini size to make it build in a plier?
2- How can I add a small digital LED plate to show angular number (eg. like the wrist digital watch)

I would also like to know if there is any other suggestions simpler and easier
Thank you in advance :)

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Jackie,
Welcome to AAC.
Do you have a photo image of the pliers that you could post, so that we can get an idea of size.?
Also what angular limits and accuracy is required.?
E

JackieRashad

Joined Oct 2, 2019
Hi Ericgibbs, Thanks for your help
I've attached pictures of the plier and for the angular limits it could be till 180 or at least 90 degrees.

UT8g6ZbXYtaXXagOFbX7.jpg 36704-400x300.jpg

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You've set yourself a tough challenge, but good luck.
For a given squeeze movement of the plier handles the amount of wire bend is going to be dependent on the wire diameter and also on how far the wire is from the plier pivot point. How will you take those factors into account?

JackieRashad

Joined Oct 2, 2019
@Alec_t :D :D yeah the more I search the more I find it complicated but thanks anyway :)
For the wire used it ranges from 14mil. to 22mil. and it could be any where from the plier pivot point but mostly the tip of the plier.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Will your invention allow for "spring back" in the bend? All metal forming involves a certain amount of spring back, meaning you need to "over bend" to get the desired bend. Unless the wire is what is called "dead soft", which I don't think would be used in dentistry.