Different result between breadboard vs prototype pcb regarding 555 timer

Arthuros ntz

Joined Apr 11, 2017
Hello again!
I stated a new project...version 2.0...16 step 4017 seq...and took it slow...so i began soldering TLC555 (x<1hz<y) clock for sequencer.
On my breadboard all run as i intended...but the same layout on "prototype pcb" gives completely different results.
On breadboard all seems to go stable and balanced. On pcb though...things are unstable...the sound is modulating a bit...like it slightly changes pitch every second "pop"...i cant adjust the freq much..not as much as on breadboard...the difference between the freq change is significant between them.
I soldered everything in place. I triple checked everything. Then i desolder the components...put them on breadboard...and everything was fine!! Then i solder them on pcb again...still nothing changed...big difference. Does it have anything to do with the breadboard capacitance??
this is the prototype pcb
http://image.dhgate.com/0x0/f2/albu/g1/M00/83/D9/rBVaGVWd3EeAAgdyAAPFYlElwlU245.jpg
testtt.jpg test.JPG

Last edited:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Looks like a dual sided pcb, very high in stray capacitance, i would have used one side and made the other side blank, or made a ground plane.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
If those are just plated thru holes, not much copper, not much stray C ? I have never used that type of board
but to me it looks pretty awkward. Easy way to mount lots of parts, but not so great for interconnections.
Bet the problem is interconnections.