h12 parameter: different result from a book's example.

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
Hi all,

I have a doubt regarding the result of h12 from following example:

hfbjtmodel.png

which is is taken from here.

The example shown is based on the hybrid parameters matrix (wikipedia link).
Now, I tried to determine the value for h12 starting from this circuit:

h12circuit.png

The circuit equation I write is:

\(
V_2\left( \frac{ \frac{1}{sC_2} }{\frac{1}{sC_2} + (\frac{1}{sC_1} \parallel R_1)} \right ) - \left( \frac{g_mV_1 R_2}{R_2 + \frac{1}{sC_2} + \left (\frac{1}{sC_1} \parallel R_1 \right )} \right )\left(\frac{1}{sC_1} \parallel R_1 \right ) = V_1
\)

which solved for

\(
h_{12} = \frac{V_1}{V_2}
\)

does not results the same as the h12 parameter obtained from the book linked.

So the question is: what's wrong in my reasoning ? I am a little bit confused

Thank you in advance
thumb2

Last edited:

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
The circuit equation I write is:

\(
V_2\left( \frac{ \frac{1}{sC_2} }{\frac{1}{sC_2} + (\frac{1}{sC_1} \parallel R_1)} \right ) - \left( \frac{g_mV_1 R_2}{R_2 + \frac{1}{sC_2} + \left (\frac{1}{sC_1} \parallel R_1 \right )} \right )\left(\frac{1}{sC_1} \parallel R_1 \right ) = V_1
\)
You must have made a mistake in this equation. In order to help you, show the details of how you got this.

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
Hi The Electrician,

I tried to apply superposition with VCCS in one step.
Given the equation:

\(\boxed{V_2\left( \frac{ \frac{1}{sC_2} }{\frac{1}{sC_2} + (\frac{1}{sC_1} \parallel R_1)} \right ) - \left( \frac{g_mV_1 R_2}{R_2 + \frac{1}{sC_2} + \left (\frac{1}{sC_1} \parallel R_1 \right )} \right )\left(\frac{1}{sC_1} \parallel R_1 \right ) = V_1}\)

the therm

\(
V_2 \left( \frac{ \frac{1}{sC_2} }{\frac{1}{sC_2} + (\frac{1}{sC_1} \parallel R_1)} \right )
\)

comes from applyng the voltage dividirer rule with the impedances given by C2 & R1 || C1:

hfbjtmodel_Step1.png

while with the therm

\(
- \left( \frac{g_mV_1 R_2}{R_2 + \frac{1}{sC_2} + \left (\frac{1}{sC_1} \parallel R_1 \right )} \right )\left(\frac{1}{sC_1} \parallel R_1 \right )
\)

referring to the following circuit:

hfbjtmodel_Step2.png
I would apply the current divider to determine the current \(i_1\) multplied by the impedance given by R1 || C1, which should give the value of V1.

Thank you.

Last edited:

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
OK, seems I have to review my circuits concepts :oops:

The Electrician said:
Then what would you get for the voltage appearing at the input?
In this case V1 results from the voltage divider rule, and h12 results to be :

\(
\begin{align}
& R_1 || C_1 = \frac{\frac{R1}{sC_1}}{R_1 + \frac{1}{sC_1}} = \frac{R_1}{sR_1C_1 + 1}\\
& V_2 \left( \frac{ \frac{1}{sC_2} }{\frac{1}{sC_2} + (\frac{1}{sC_1} \parallel R_1)} \right ) = V_2\left(\frac{sR_1C_1 + 1}{sR_1C_1 + sR_1C_2 + 1} \right ) = V_1\\
& h_{12} = \frac{V_1}{V_2} = \left(\frac{sR_1C_1 + 1}{sR_1C_1 + sR_1C_2 + 1} \right )
\end{align}
\)

but again, I don't see the equivalence into the numerator.
To get the same denominator from the book it's obvious I can divide by \(R_1\).

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
OK, seems I have to review my circuits concepts :oops:

In this case V1 results from the voltage divider rule, and h12 results to be :

\(
\begin{align}
& R_1 || C_1 = \frac{\frac{R1}{sC_1}}{R_1 + \frac{1}{sC_1}} = \frac{R_1}{sR_1C_1 + 1}\\
& V_2 \left( \frac{ \frac{1}{sC_2} }{\frac{1}{sC_2} + (\frac{1}{sC_1} \parallel R_1)} \right ) = V_2\left(\frac{sR_1C_1 + 1}{sR_1C_1 + sR_1C_2 + 1} \right ) = V_1\\
& h_{12} = \frac{V_1}{V_2} = \left(\frac{sR_1C_1 + 1}{sR_1C_1 + sR_1C_2 + 1} \right )
\end{align}
\)

but again, I don't see the equivalence into the numerator.
To get the same denominator from the book it's obvious I can divide by \(R_1\).
You're not doing the voltage divider rule correctly. The numerator of that expression inside the big parentheses should be \(\frac{1}{sC_1} \parallel R_1\), not \( \frac{1}{sC_2}\)

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
Doh ! What a shame ! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Someone call me a doctor. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

:D:D:D:D:D

Solved. Thank you The Electrician.

Last edited:

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
A quick way to get the h matrix of a two-port is to first write the Y matrix which is usually easy to do by inspection. This, of course, probably wouldn't be an acceptable short cut if your goal is to show the actual analysis of the circuit leading to each element of the h matrix.

Y to h.png

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
In that book the admittance matrix is also explained, later than the h matrix.
But I need a good review of circuits analysis ... and the best way to do it is by solving exercises and learning from the errors, as always.