Identical dimmers different result

Andrew Leigh

Joined Sep 8, 2008
Hi,

I have two identical 220vac lamp dimmers capable of a 500W load.

The one is coupled to an incandescent lamp sequence of 14 x 40W = 560W and although over the top has worked perfectly for 3 years.

Recently I took the other identical dimmer, still unused, and coupled this to a 250W Halogen Spot light. It acts like a strobe with intervals of about 1 second and fails to reach any significant brightness.

Do these dimmers not power halogen type loads?

Regards
Andrew

Andrew Leigh

Joined Sep 8, 2008
OK connected dimmer to normal 100W incandescent lamp and it still slowly pulses. I have to assume that the dimmer is faulty, would this be a fair assumption?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
OK connected dimmer to normal 100W incandescent lamp and it still slowly pulses. I have to assume that the dimmer is faulty, would this be a fair assumption?
As a point of interest, it's (barely) possible that the thyristor was damaged by the 250W lamp's inrush demand (altered triacs, for instance, occasionally exhibit high 'on impedance' with corollary 'on state' heating and (significant) transient alteration in triggering characteristics.

That said the unit was probably 'DOA' as you surmise...

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I would agree it could be faulty, Being a 500w version, was this originally intended for power tool control?
If so did you try on something of this nature?
Max.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Halogen needs time to charge up to full brightness I believe
Halogen lamps have a tungsten filament, the same as a standard incandescent lamp, so they have similar turn-on characteristics, although halogen lamps run at a hotter filament temperature, so they may have a lower cold resistance, hence higher start-up surge current, for the same lamp wattage.
Otherwise the main difference is the gas in the bulb.