different in- / ouputs for charging / discharging a LiPo battery

Jwrede

Joined Mar 11, 2021
I have a 4s2p LiPo Battery and I'd like to have 2 different xt60 output wires, one that I should be used for charging and one that is connected to my electronics, I will protect the circuit that the battery will not be charged and discharged at the same time, how should I wire these two in- / outputs, could I just use a parallel cable in reverse?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Use a single pole, double throw switch. Connect the battery + to the common (wiper) and the charger in and output to circuit wires to the other two contacts. When the switch is connecting the charger input to the battery, the power will be off for tha circuit. When it is in the other position, power will be on and the charger input will be disconnected.

Jwrede

Joined Mar 11, 2021
That would be perfect because the next thing I'd ask is if I could build a power switch into that circuit, if I understand you currectly I could use the switch as a power switch as well right? The only problem I'm having is that with a 4s battery I have ~16V and at the same time around 60-100A draw, I haven't yet found a switch that supports these values, are there any switches that support these values?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
To switch 100 amps I would recommend that you use a low current SPDT switch and a 100A 12V relay for the power side. There is not much choice for 16V relays but a 12V automotive or industrial type of relay will be OK at 16V. The 16V will drop very quickly as soon as you start drawing current.

Jwrede

Joined Mar 11, 2021
To switch 100 amps I would recommend that you use a low current SPDT switch and a 100A 12V relay for the power side. There is not much choice for 16V relays but a 12V automotive or industrial type of relay will be OK at 16V. The 16V will drop very quickly as soon as you start drawing current.
yea thought about relays as well, haven't seen any other options, thanks alot for your help!