Differences between various AND chips?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Thanks for all the feed back.

This is the measly little circuit I can't seem to get to work. I can't find any wrong wiring, but I will spend a little more time looking.

Could anyone help me with the pull ups/down? I have tried before the OR gate, but that just locks the Q.

View attachment 154964

EDIT: Ok, It works now. It was error 40. Some words on the pull ups would be much appreciated, though :)

EDIT2: On second edit, no, It doesn't work quite as it should. Sometimes when I unplug D1, it registers 1 bit, when it just should halt.
Try to connects a 1K resistor to +5V for each output of the 74LSxx when they connected to the 74HCxx.

StrongPenguin

Joined Jun 9, 2018
@ScottWang I tried a few different connections, and one of them worked. Probably the one you mentioned. I've scratched the board now and moved on to registers.

I will just stick to one type of IC. Period. I'm not skilled enough to combine them.

I can most definitely see what you guys are saying with regards to pictures of circuits, and what I am tinkering, and such. It's not easy to offer help with no drawings or nothing. Next time I will post more useful information, and better diagrams.

I'm trying to get the A-, B, and IR- 8-bit registers to work, but on one board, one of the LED's wont work, and on two won't light on the other, and I'm not even finished with the IR. Trying first to see if I can find the fault, and if not, I'm gonna make a thread with pictures and everything :)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
@ScottWang I tried a few different connections, and one of them worked. Probably the one you mentioned. I've scratched the board now and moved on to registers.

I will just stick to one type of IC. Period. I'm not skilled enough to combine them.

I can most definitely see what you guys are saying with regards to pictures of circuits, and what I am tinkering, and such. It's not easy to offer help with no drawings or nothing. Next time I will post more useful information, and better diagrams.

I'm trying to get the A-, B, and IR- 8-bit registers to work, but on one board, one of the LED's wont work, and on two won't light on the other, and I'm not even finished with the IR. Trying first to see if I can find the fault, and if not, I'm gonna make a thread with pictures and everything :)
A common mistake is to put LEDs on output of gates in order to show the status of the logic output.
NOTE: LEDs will upset the logic output of gates.

Use a buffer, such as a HEX INVERTER, in order to drive the LED from the logic source.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Not only will an LED on the output possibly adversely affect the logic levels, but it can also slow down the output response, if speed is of concern.
Use a buffer (either inverting or non-inverting) to drive the LED as MC suggested.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012

When you doing the experiment then you better to write the note on the notebook to record all the procedure that you have been through, because you can't remember all the details and it can be easy to forget, the note will also give you help in the future.

Upload the schematic when you have any questions and write down all the details that you met, it will be help to do the analysis.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'm trying to get the A-, B, and IR- 8-bit registers to work, but on one board, one of the LED's wont work, and on two won't light on the other
I posted a picture from Ben Eater's site where it looked like he was putting LEDs on some outputs without current limiting resistors. In his clock circuit video, he used current limiting resistors, but it didn't appear that he buffered the signals. So watch out for that.

StrongPenguin

Joined Jun 9, 2018
I am right in the middle of drawing a circuit for the registers, then I guess I could just post it here, as it's a continuum of the original problem.

Now LED 8 on both registers won't light (right next to the clock signal..hmm..). I will at first just post it without the buffer, since I don't have any to connect.

Ben mentions in one of his videos, that the chip has build in limiting resistors.

I will return when I have more time.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Ben mentions in one of his videos, that the chip has build in limiting resistors.
For TTL, the only ICs that might have built in limiting resistors are LED display drivers; but most of them don't have them.

As mentioned earlier, loading an output can change it's logic level or reduce noise margin.

In the clock video I watched, he removed LEDs after he was finished demonstrating the circuit. The schematic didn't show any buffers being used and he didn't mention using any (but I was skipping around because it was taking him forever to get to the point).