Difference between Schmitt trigger and Inverting Operational Amplifie

Ron Potashnik

Joined Dec 27, 2015
Hi!
i know how to analyze the Inverting Operational Amplifie that is shown here:

the analyze is by simple rouls like: I(in)=I(out)(no courrent getin in the amplifier) and I get an inverse wave from the entrance

but the next Schmitt trigger i dont understend

sudntly the ruls are difference and i dont know how to analyze this circuit(my output is a squre wave and not a nverse wave from the input).

my question is what is the diffrent if the V+ is up or down and how i analys the Schmitt trigger amp circuit.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
One circuit has negative feedback, and is stable and linear.
One circuit has positive feedback, and is unstable and non-linear.

BTW the rules don't change, but you do have to do two analyses. One with Vout at the positive rail and one with Vout at the negative rail. That is where the hysteresis comes from.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
With negative feedback, the feedback is the opposite polarity to the input so the op amp settles into a stable state with the input current through Rin equal to the feedback current through Rf.

With positive feedback, the feedback is the same polarity as the input, thus the output keeps rising or falling (depending upon the initial input polarity) until it reaches one of the rails (maximum voltage).
This gives the square wave output.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The "rules" for a non-inverting Schmitt trigger circuit are exactly the same as the rules for a non-inverting linear amplifier. The problem is that the feedback tends to drive the amplifier into saturation, but saturation is a possibility with an on-inverting circuit also if the component choices dictate it.

Assume a perfect opamp has an open loop gain of 1 million (120 dB), powered by +/-12 V. Without R2, when the input is an -0.000001 V, the output will be at - 1.0 V. Same for positive voltages: +10 uV in gets you +10 V out. But when the input is+20 uV, the output tries to get to +20 V and saturates. Now the circuit is operating in a non-linear mode, and the opamp is effectively a non-inverting buffer. For any inputs outside of +/-10 uV, the output is saturated either high or low, essentially a digital component.

Now connect R2. Since the output impedance is much lower than the value of R2 (good design practice), the non-inv input now sees the middle of a voltage divider between +12 V or -12 Vout and Vin. As Vin crosses GND, the voltage at the non-inv input pin snaps between two different values. With Ohm's Law you can make those two values whatever you want.

ak

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
One circuit has negative feedback, and is stable and linear.
One circuit has positive feedback, and is unstable and non-linear.

BTW the rules don't change, but you do have to do two analyses. One with Vout at the positive rail and one with Vout at the negative rail. That is where the hysteresis comes from.
Quite so - the Schmitt trigger is traditionally made with a comparator, but an op-amp is sufficient in all but the most exacting applications.