diagram for XG95D

vinc21

Joined Oct 11, 2007
Hi been give a rather old "maplin gold dual regulated power supply model XG95D" but theres components missing and would like to bring it back to its former glory, any help please. vinc21

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, if it's old - there's a fair chance that the missing components are no longer available.

These folks say they can repair/calibrate your particular model:
http://www.otc.co.uk/datam.htm

but then, you'd wind up with an expensive repair bill for an old power supply. Who knows what might break or burn out next?

Transformer still in it? Rectifiers still good? If so, you might just consider using some modern regulator IC's with some fresh electrolytics, using your existing meters, pots and enclosure. Of course, you'll need to test everything that remains to ensure it's not broken/burned out.

What was the output voltage and current rating of the power supply originally? That, along with how much time, effort and money you want to invest, will be a baseline for your re-engineered supply's capacity. There are single-chip solutions for outputs from 1.2-37v from 100mA to 7.5A; some of those chips can be made to jump through hoops as well. You can also "up the ante" by using power transistors (paralleled if need be) to output however much power your transformer can output.

Some regulators to look at:
LM117 / LM317 - 1.5A 1.2v-37v Adjustable Positive Regulator, National Semiconductor
LM350 - 3A Adjustable Positive Regulator, National Semiconductor
LM137 / LM338 - 5A Adjustable Positive Regulator, National Semiconductor
LM337 - Adjustable Negative Regulator
LT1083, LT1084, LT1085 - 7.5A, 5A, 3A Low Dropout Adjustable Positive Regulator, Linear Technology

Google is your friend ;)

bilko

Joined Oct 5, 2008
Vinc21,

I have just got my hands on a partially working Maplin PSU XG95D.
It is based on a LM723, which is a common power supply controller.
In addition a dual op-ampl LM324 is used as part of the current sense circuit and to switch in a higher voltage tap on the transformer.
I am trying to get a good circuit diagram. Did you get one?