Developed a power supply module, got the PCB connected to mains, Instant blew up of capacitor and inductor.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It would help if you identified the inductor and capacitor that blew up by their reference designators. It also looks like a fundamental misunderstanding of how to deal with the mains in the absence of an isolation transformer. There is also the apparent connection of your local ground to the Neutral near the device PS2.

Are your mains 120 VAC or 220 VAC?

bender_58

Joined Nov 15, 2022
It would help if you identified the inductor and capacitor that blew up by the reference designators. It also looks like a fundamental misunderstanding of how to deal with the mains in the absence of an isolation transformer. There is also the apparent connection of your local ground to the Neutral near the device PS2.

Are your mains 120 VAC or 220 VAC?
It is 230VAC, also I wanted to see whether we are getting the voltages intended to isolation transformer.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It is 230VAC, also I wanted to see whether we are getting the voltages intended to isolation transformer.
So. the peak voltage would be 230 VAC * SQRT(2) ≈ 326 Vpk. What is the voltage rating on the capacitors you chose and what type of capacitors are they? Some types may not be happy with rapid changes in voltage or current.

bender_58

Joined Nov 15, 2022
So. the peak voltage would be 230 VAC * SQRT(2) ≈ 326 Vpk. What is the voltage rating on the capacitors you chose and what type of capacitors are they? Some types may not be happy with rapid changes in voltage or current.
Voltage rating for it is 310VAC/630VDC

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Capacitors that sit on the power line should be "X" and "Y" rated. C1,2,3,4
Your caps do not appear to be rated for the power line.
You have a resistor across the power line. I hope it is rated for high voltage. (spikes)
What is the voltage rating on " VJ1206Y103MXEAT "
It was L1, RT1206FRE1310RL, VJ1206Y103MXEAT
This indicates the capacitor could not take that much voltage and shorted out. The short will kill the week spots.