Detect when door is closed with 100 percent precision

grcshekar

Joined Jan 8, 2020
Hi,

I have built a dog crate with automatic door having 12 mm thickness, 4 feet height and 3 feet width. I need to check if dog is in between the door including its tail in order to ensure door do not close. So any High precision motion sensor or IR sensor to achieve this is please

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Why motion sensor or IR sensor?

What is wrong with simple micro-switch or magnetic switch?

Why are you only looking at most complicated and least reliable options?

EDIT: Ah.... seeing later posts, I thing maybe I understand a bit more...

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
According to ONE of the OP's it Only weighs 250 grams, acrylic.
Max.
Definitely confusing!

Post #1 refers to opening a door “sideways” and is a 250 gram 3’x4’ acrylic door.

Post #8 is a dog crate door 12mm high. That small a door must be for a “mini-poodle”. It’s the second door about which I attempted a joke...

@grcshekar ? Which is it?

Last edited:

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Back to the door? Would it be best to not only detect if the door is closed but also detect if the bolt is inserted in the hole in the strike plate? Can't tell in the OP picture if there is a latch mechanism but, if there is, how about putting the switch or pushbutton in the bottom of the hole. Then, it is truly known if the door is closed AND latched.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Looks like the perverbial mouse trap. Spring loaded door with trigger deep enough for doggy. WAnt electrify something, make your trigger a solenoid

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Any example circuit or recommendation on readily available ones
There are lots of ready assembled light curtains on the internet. It would be difficult to design and build one reliable enough for what you need. It's up to you to decide what would best fit your application and budget.
Good luck.

grcshekar

Joined Jan 8, 2020
There are lots of ready assembled light curtains on the internet. It would be difficult to design and build one reliable enough for what you need. It's up to you to decide what would best fit your application and budget.
Good luck.
Can u please suggest some link for low cost ones

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Any example circuit or recommendation on readily available ones
It should be easy to design one around the cheap infra red sensors either retro-reflective or separate kind, you can get five for $2.00 on ebay.
Set up a range of them, if open collector, you can AND the outputs possibly.
A simple 8 pin or 16 pin Micro would do the job for the whole project.
Max.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
3' X 4' implies a rather large dog so 2" laser spacing over bottom 1/2 of door should work. Might use light dependent resistors for receivers. Drill tapered holes for laser modules, tight fit on exit,
ring of fast set epoxy on back; aim & hold till set.