Desperately Seeking Home For Nice Doggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hey there,

My friend in Los Angeles has a medium size pit bull she needs to find a home for. Her daughter is having a baby out of state (Utah) and once the baby arrives the daughter is planning ot move in with my friend and they will stay together for a long time as my friend has always hoped for.

The problem is that bit bull. He barks up a storm at strangers, but once he knows you (takes about 2 minutes for the introduction) he is like a good old friend and very afraid of anything that goes bump in the night. So he's rather meek even though he barks up a storm with strangers.

The only problem is, he thinks everything small like a stuffed animal is a chew toy, and so he proceeds to 'play' with it, and then ends up ripping it to shreds.
It already killed one small doggie by accident and it tore the leg off another small doggie. Sounds like a vicious dog, but he's actually not he's normally a nice dog he just things he's playing sometimes with the small toys, and thus having a baby around could present a huge problem.

The main problem then is that she heeds ot find a new home for the dog and she's running out of time. Baby due in just one month now.
I called a bunch of places but they all are filled up or dont take dogs unless they are in the general area.

One gal i talked to suggested using social media t find a home, but i am not sure how you would go about doing that.

Anyone know what to do to find the dog a home? Any idea would be appreciated. Thanks.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Fortunately! the Province I reside in has a ban on owning pit bull, bull dogs, boxers as well as American and Staffordshire pit bull terriers, Staffordshire bull terriers and American Staffordshire terriers.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
It's an absolute tragedy that Pit-Bull-Breeders are not "shot-on-sight" and "left for the dogs".
Same goes for Police-Dog-Trainers who take great normal Dogs and make them completely Psychotic.

Dogs are a proper member of a family, and should be treated as such ..........
What would you do if a member of your family was known to kill or maim small animals ?
Would You just try to "keep-it-quiet" ?

Drop off the poor insane Dog at the local Animal-Control-Center, say good-bye, then walk away.
Don't perpetuate any further tragedies.
With any luck, You may have learned something.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am also against the desire for selective breeding by those that just need to satisfy their selfish desires to produce some different animal that can end up with possessing certain traits, diseases, or characteristics just to satisfy their ego.

Attachments

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
It's an absolute tragedy that Pit-Bull-Breeders are not "shot-on-sight" and "left for the dogs".
Same goes for Police-Dog-Trainers who take great normal Dogs and make them completely Psychotic.

Dogs are a proper member of a family, and should be treated as such ..........
What would you do if a member of your family was known to kill or maim small animals ?
Would You just try to "keep-it-quiet" ?

Drop off the poor insane Dog at the local Animal-Control-Center, say good-bye, then walk away.
Don't perpetuate any further tragedies.
With any luck, You may have learned something.
20220417_175124.jpg

She wants to eat your cats

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Wow so i guess the general consensus is that pit bulls are dangerous.
Maybe in general that is true but the funny thing about this dog is he is very meek otherwise. If you make a noise he will jump. I think because he was mistreated in the past.

One thing is for sure though, these dogs are very very strong, all muscle. You'd have to know how to handle dog attacks if one came at you.
Their teeth are even shorter than teeth ive seen in the past, so they have no problem ripping things apart. Their teeth are strong and well seated.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Wow! You won't make friends with one of our other members here saying stuff like that. Even though he is in hiding, joeyD is into raising and training dogs to attack people.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I think that's the general consensus for most people other than pit bull owners.
Hi,

Yeah i got that general opinion from reading around the web too even places that take dogs in. one place admitted that pit bulls were the least likely to get adopted, and black dogs too, and unfortunately there was one black pit bull they had who has the worst of both having two strikes already.
If you really want a laugh though, they sometimes dress up the dogs in pajamas for the photos that makes them seem more lovable (ha ha ha).

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
They are worse. If I remember correctly they were " Dogo Argentino's". He at one time had some pictures of the dog and a guy in a bite suit training them here in the forum. But a quick forum search couldn't find them. They are/were one of his many businesses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogo_Argentino

https://www.citywatchla.com/index.p...la-jogger-victim-s-medical-bills-over-190-000
Hi,

Did you mean that he was training them to be protective dogs for their owners?
I hope you did not mean he was training them like that for malicious purposes.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
Most issues with violent dogs can be traced to their owners and to the training that dog owners did or did not confer onto the dog. Pit Bulls are no exception.

The other issue with Pit Bulls is that people buy them for their reputation. They want a ferocious dog, so they go for the one with that kind of reputation. As the dog grows, the bias by the owner toward violence can push the dog toward violent behavior whether intentionally trained or not. This happens with Dobermans, Rottweilers and other dogs as well. I personally think that this is the issue with most of the errant Pit Bulls that make the news by attacking people. They may not be overtly trained to be violent, but they're also not trained to be controlled properly.

I have several neighbors with dogs. The worst is a woman with several Labradors. Completely untrained, they'll wander the street making trouble including getting into our chicken pen. When I threatened the owner that I'd shoot them on sight, she changed her tactic, and started letting them out at 2:00 in the morning.

Another neighbor with a Pit Bull asked my wife to walk it while they were away for a week. My wife said the dog was "a sweetie", well behaved and good natured. Note the difference, the previous dogs were let out to roam without supervision while this Pit Bull was always either in the house or on a leash.

My wife has also suggested that people be trained to be a good dog owner before buying a dog.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Hi,

Did you mean that he was training them to be protective dogs for their owners?
I hope you did not mean he was training them like that for malicious purposes.
Who knows with joey? He claims to train himself to kill/defend himself using a gun. And has probably never been in a dangerous situation since grade school, back when the bullies took his lunch money.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Most issues with violent dogs can be traced to their owners and to the training that dog owners did or did not confer onto the dog. Pit Bulls are no exception.
I disagree.
I think, since pit bulls were breed to fight and kill, have a sort of "kill-switch" that, when triggered for whatever reason, causes them to attack to kill, and cannot be readily called off from that attack, like most dogs can, even if they were not trained for that.
Just my opinion, but I think that explains why pit bulls have been known to attack even family members or people they know, and why they are disproportionately involved in serious dog attacks.
The idea that pit bulls are just another dog, ignores the statistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.