designing sumo bot with arduino

abdullah8391

Joined Sep 6, 2015
Hi all!!!
i want to know each and every detail on how to design sumo bot with arduino because i couldn't find anything on how to design it...
I want to design it for my project, but i don't know anything about it...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi all!!!
i want to know each and every detail on how to design sumo bot with arduino because i couldn't find anything on how to design it...
I want to design it for my project, but i don't know anything about it...
What are the rules for your local competition?

abdullah8391

Joined Sep 6, 2015
What are the rules for your local competition?
well it's not a competition, we are making it as a project(and probably only my group is making it). I am a student of 3rd semester in BS(EE), so you can say it's not for competition purpose, though i want it to be reliable.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
i want to know each and every detail on how to design Ferrari with 200HP engine because i couldn't find anything on how to design it...
I want to design it for my car, but i don't know anything about it.

Does that sound reasonable? Just wondering.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
well it's not a competition, we are making it as a project(and probably only my group is making it). I am a student of 3rd semester in BS(EE), so you can say it's not for competition purpose, though i want it to be reliable.
How big do you want to make it?

What type of sensors do you want to use to identify your opponent?

What type of sensor do you want to use to identify the edge of the arena?

How many sensors, all around or one in front?

What brain do you want to use (PIC, arduino, raspberry pi, ...)

How many motors?

Have you selected motors (steppers, simple brushed DC, brushless, ?)

What motor controller do you want to use?

What is your budget?

Where in the world are you located?

abdullah8391

Joined Sep 6, 2015
i want to know each and every detail on how to design Ferrari with 200HP engine because i couldn't find anything on how to design it...
I want to design it for my car, but i don't know anything about it.

Does that sound reasonable? Just wondering.
just felt like you were insulting me...:(
i already told you that i have no theoretical/practical information about this project because this is my first time working on robotics.
so i really don't know know anything about it...
that is why i have troubles on how to seach it on google...
All i am asking is can you provide me some useful links where i could understand what i am going to make and how does it works...

abdullah8391

Joined Sep 6, 2015
How big do you want to make it?

What type of sensors do you want to use to identify your opponent?

What type of sensor do you want to use to identify the edge of the arena?

How many sensors, all around or one in front?

What brain do you want to use (PIC, arduino, raspberry pi, ...)

How many motors?

Have you selected motors (steppers, simple brushed DC, brushless, ?)

What motor controller do you want to use?

What is your budget?

Where in the world are you located?
1. i don't know its normal size because i have watched it on YouTube videos only.
2,3,4. I am a beginner, so i don't know what type of sensors would be used.
5.we are allowed to use arduino.
6,7,8: sorry to say but i haven't decided on motors yet(or more precisely it is first for me knowing that there are that many different type of motors)
9.our budget is you can say 2500-3500(1 dollar=100 roughly), and price of arduino here is 1500(from what i have heard)
10. in pakistan

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
1. i don't know its normal size because i have watched it on YouTube videos only.
2,3,4. I am a beginner, so i don't know what type of sensors would be used.
5.we are allowed to use arduino.
6,7,8: sorry to say but i haven't decided on motors yet(or more precisely it is first for me knowing that there are that many different type of motors)
9.our budget is you can say 2500-3500(1 dollar=100 roughly), and price of arduino here is 1500(from what i have heard)
10. in pakistan

Ok, interesting you are asking. I was at the Pittsburgh Maker Faire today. The robotics club from the University of Pittsburgh was there. They used IR that is modulated at 38kHz flashing out of the front and rear of the bot. Each corner has a reflectance IR sensor.

It is programed for a demonstration at the fair since they were not competing. It is only following objects instead of attacking.

Controlled by arduino. This bot won a regional IEEE competition in April 2015.

The bot had to fit into a 10cm x 10cm box before pushing the start button. The start has a 5 second delay so operators can step back before they locate and attach each other. The plows on front and rear flip down when it moves after 5 seconds. Then it locates the reflected ir and it attacks the competitor.

Last edited:

abdullah8391

Joined Sep 6, 2015
Ok, interesting you are asking. I was at the Pittsburgh Maker Faire today. The robotics club from the University of Pittsburgh was there. They used IR that is modulated at 38kHz flashing out of the front and rear of the bot. Each corner has a reflectance IR sensor.

It is programed for a demonstration at the fair since they were not competing. It is only following objects instead of attacking.

Controlled by arduino. This bot won a regional IEEE competition in April 2015.

The bot had to fit into a 10cm x 10cm box before pushing the start button. The start has a 5 second delay so operators can step back before they locate and attach each other. The plows on front and rear flip down when it moves after 5 seconds. Then it locates the reflected ir and it attacks the competitor.

thanks for information, but i am asking that i want to make one, so can i get useful links or information on how can i make one by myself?