designing a 50khz transformer

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
That's a serious undertaking, which is why I don't think people are responding right away.

I would start here,

http://www.mag-inc.com/selection_matrix.asp

You're going to need a good sized e-core or toroid for 1KW. You must be extremely concerned about your magnet wire quality and insulation, otherwise your circuit will arc and fail prematurely. You should consider litz wire for lower copper losses.

I would go to the library and take out a book on the subject, I have seen many in my university's library that detail construction of switching transformers. I cannot remember how to calculate the appropriate turns, but I know the information is readily available.

Steve

legac

Joined May 4, 2005
can you plz help me in designing a 50khz transformer with 1kw output power.I need help in choosing the best core suitable for such a high frequency operation and i also need suggestions on the kind of winding to be used to get optimum output minimizing the losses.
My primary winding voltage is around 1500 volts and the desired secondary winding voltage is 15kv with 1kw ouput power.The number of turns would be in the ratio of 1:10.But let me know how to choose the turns and leakage inductance.
1Kw@50Khz transformer is not too big. You can compare that with a commercial PSU of the PC. Commercial PC/PSU can deliver 400watts with a 42x 35 mm ferrit EI core. It is about 1/6 turn per volt. How about the wave form? This would affect the computation.

legac

Joined May 4, 2005
can you plz help me in designing a 50khz transformer with 1kw output power.I need help in choosing the best core suitable for such a high frequency operation and i also need suggestions on the kind of winding to be used to get optimum output minimizing the losses.
My primary winding voltage is around 1500 volts and the desired secondary winding voltage is 15kv with 1kw ouput power.The number of turns would be in the ratio of 1:10.But let me know how to choose the turns and leakage inductance.
Double posting. Moderator may help me to delete this. Thanks