Design of an experiment

Grim_hitsu

Joined Nov 10, 2016
Hi everyone, I'm suppose to design an experiment to measure, to acquire, to study certain parameters of a device. Any ideas on what experiment can i design?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You need to list the parameters you want to measure (the Y values, the dependent variables), and the input variables (the X values, the independent variables). You then consider 1) whether the independent variable Ys are likely to be linear with respect to any of the Xs, 2) whether the X values interact in their effect on Y, 3) the ranges of the Xs you need to cover, 4) the error in you measurements.

With this information you can begin to optimize your experimental design. If there are no interactions and everything is linear, your list of experiments is relatively short. If the X values interact and the Ys are not linear with respect to X, then you'll need a lot more measurements. Ditto if the experimental error is large relative to the effects you are trying to quantitate.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Measure how?
Acquire with what?
Which parameters?
What "device"?
Have you given this one millisecond's thought, or is your plan to get us to do *all* the work for you?

ak

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

My question would be how complex does the 'device' need to be?
Can it be a simple resistor or does it have to be a nuclear reactor :)

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
To simple and you may not get an A.

To complex and you will not get it done and get no grade at all.

Measure and calculate from data the power (watt hours) that are in a rechargeable battery. Then measure the watt hours used by the charger to get the battery back to full charge.

Then cycle the battery until the watt hour rating decreases significantly.

Calculate the cost of power to charge the batteries, the cost of the battery itself and the useful life you get from it.

Contrast this data with normal alkaline throw away batteries for life span and cost of use to achieve the same total power delivered and present your findings. Is it cheaper to use rechargeable or alkaline to operate a toy?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
A

Are you aged 13, in a school physics class, or a nuclear reactor safety engineer?
Hi,

It doesnt matter what i am, it matters only what the OP is and what they can do and are allowed to do.
Also, sarcasm is a wonderful thing if we recognize when not to take it seriously.