design an RC snubber for ac solenoid lock ( inductive load)

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There is no place to put such a ring in the present assembly. Thus it is not possible.
Once again I suggest looking at commecrcially available solenoids to see how it is done.

Marcodavid

Joined Aug 1, 2022
If i want to add dimer voltage regulator circuit to this design, so does i need to add snubber to circuit?

Dimer specific
50-220v
Less than 1000w

If so i will add rc snubber as following

Resistor =44 ohm (choosed 44 ohm because i want 220v is the max voltage will across the switch and the dimer)

V=IR = 5*44= 220

Energy in inductor
E=1/2li^2 =0.5*.15*5^2= 1.875J

E= 1/2 cv^2 =
1.875 = 1/2 c 220^2
C = 0.00009375 =93 microfarad

So
Is my calculations rights and Do i need non polar ceramic capacitor 93 µF - 220v ?

Should i add the rc snubber parallel to the switch or parallel to inductor?

Attachments

Marcodavid

Joined Aug 1, 2022
Of course it is , at or near one end of the coil. !
I think the answer is with a DC coil.
If i want to add dimer voltage regulator circuit to this design, so does i need to add snubber to circuit?

Dimer specific
50-220v
Less than 1000w

Resistor =44 ohm (choosed 44 ohm because i want 220v is the max voltage will across the switch and the dimer)

V=IR = 5*44= 220

Energy in inductor
E=1/2li^2 =0.5*.15*5^2= 1.875J

E= 1/2 cv^2 =
1.875 = 1/2 c 220^2

So
Is my calculations rights and Do i need non polar ceramic capacitor 93 µF - 220v ?

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Operating a solenoid is an application that certainly has no need nor any benefit from having a voltage regulator. Consider that when it is first powered is when the gap is widest and the armature needs to start moving, and initially the voltage is highest. Then as it starts moving and the gap decreases to voltage drops a bit, while the effectiveness increases. And at the end of the move, when the switch opens, the voltage and current are mess, So a non-regulated supply will be the better choice.

Marcodavid

Joined Aug 1, 2022
Operating a solenoid is an application that certainly has no need nor any benefit from having a voltage regulator. Consider that when it is first powered is when the gap is widest and the armature needs to start moving, and initially the voltage is highest. Then as it starts moving and the gap decreases to voltage drops a bit, while the effectiveness increases. And at the end of the move, when the switch opens, the voltage and current are mess, So a non-regulated supply will be the better choice.
I want to add dimmer to control the magnetic field force by decreasing/increasing voltage so decreasing/increasing current and control magnetic

If i can not use voltage regulator, can i use other components to control magnetic field force?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You could have AC through the dimmer and the switch and then just a bridge rectifier immediately before the solenoid. Then you would not need a snubber nor a diode to prevent spikes, as the bridge will do that very well.

Marcodavid

Joined Aug 1, 2022
You could have AC through the dimmer and the switch and then just a bridge rectifier immediately before the solenoid. Then you would not need a snubber nor a diode to prevent spikes, as the bridge will do that very well.
That means the power that will go to inductor will be DC? If so will i need to calculate the resistance of inductor with just ohms law (dc resistance of inductor only) or faraday's law

Marcodavid

Joined Aug 1, 2022
Quick question: Why is it that you cannot use DC in this project?
Can not use dc because

With battery

1- i will have to use large battary or numbers of battery to get a good voltage and current this will take a large space

2- even i used batteries and since batteries will have high internal resistance in series i will need to use very large capacitor because i want the solenoid to be a kick solenoid(kick strongly)

3- one other disadvantage of using batteries to get dc current is i have to use booster or inverter to get high voltage ( good booster will decrease the current or will have big space)

With transformer or bridge rectifier

( In theory, it does not work)

3- iam using wire guage of 18 awg (max current is 2.3A and its resistance every 1000ft is 6.3 ohm

At highest peak of voltage from bridge or transformer v =310

I=v/r =310/6.3 = 49.2A

To get 5A i have to use 10.000ft to get 63 ohm resistance
10.000 ft of wire very large amount of wire

If i change the wire to lower guage to get more resistance, the wire will have smaller max current and i will need to large lenght as well

But in ac as there is impedance and dc resistance of the inductor and inductance i can eaily use small amount of wire

4- this lock will kick then turn off after 1s that mean i want highest current at the beginning which can be achieved in ac while dc no

Overall ac meet my requires

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
NOBODY has suggested batteries! That was not even mentioned as an option. OK???
If a bridge rectifier direct from the mains were used, certainly the filter caps would charge to the peak voltage with no load. BUT the instant the load was connected the capacitors will start to discharge, exactly like I previously mentioned. In addition, a resistor in series with the rectifier output can drop the loaded voltage to whatever value is chosen. So from a direct rectifier DC system the current versus time curve can be what is decided.
If a transformer is added to the rectifier and DC option a wide variety of voltages are available from standard transformers. Commonly available voltages from a 220 volt mains input transformer are 120 volts, 48 volts, 24 volts, and 12 volts. So with a transformer there are many voltage choices.
As for dropping the voltage to the lock by using the connection wire resistance, THAT IS A VERY POOR PLAN, AND NOT APPROVED BY ELECTRICAL SAFETY CODES.
So the arguments presented against DC operation are based on non-applicable information.
One more thing is that if additional iron was added to the solenoid, such as an outer cover of the coil, the inductance would be quite a bit greater. This would improve the functionality of using a dimmer control as well, either with pure AC or with unfiltered DC from a rectifier.

Last edited:

Marcodavid

Joined Aug 1, 2022
Guys

I took a decide to make this solenoid in the simplest, lowest cost way and using just AC current (so the how circuit will be in AC current only)

My problem is how to make snubber RC circuit
Not converting Ac to Dc

Dimmer will work even on Ac and Dc, i will add this to my AC current

The problem here is iam afraid of this dimmer getting damage so i want to design RC to protect it

So please let focus on how to add snubber RC and what is the calculations around it

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011

Dimer specific
50-220v
Less than 1000w
Dimmers are normally rated for resistive loads, not inductive.
Even so, that dimmer will still blow up since underrated... your load is 1500W

why not pick next common value such as 47 Ohm of suitable power?

E= 1/2 cv^2 =
1.875 = 1/2 c 220^2
Is my calculations rights...
not sure how you got that C value...
using those same numbers i get 77.5uF

Do i need non polar ceramic capacitor ## µF - 220v ?
your capacitor need to be rated for voltage higher than the circuit will experience.
yes capacitor will need to be non-polar. if you ever find ceramic capacitor with those specs, please share the photo of it, preferably next to some object for size reference.

snubber would work either way since mains side is low impedance. but if you place the snubber across switch, there will be current through load all the time even if switch is open.