Design a simple 12v circuit

shark669

Joined Jan 30, 2017
Hi all
I would like to build my little girl a bead spinner , my background is software so I have limited electronics background.
I have some old hardware laying around that I would like to use for this project
the goal is to be able to run this motor in multiple speeds using a potentiometer.

Here is the list of items I have:
A motor i pulled from old printer (I'm pretty sure its 12v rated, tested it on 12v its working fine, not working on 9v)
I have a 12v 1500ma rated power supply
2 Potentiometers one is rated 10K the other is 50K
Bunch of different resistors (10,100,200,330,1K,2K,10K,220k?5.1K, 1M, and big 10 Ohm 2w resistors)
On off switch.

I uploaded images of the hardware here: https://imgur.com/a/MC0n3xq

Appreciate if you guys can assist designing this simple circuit.
Thank you!

shark669

Joined Jan 30, 2017

shark669

Joined Jan 30, 2017
Thank you Scott
I was really hoping not to spend $9 on this.
Can you please explain why is is not a good way?
If its going to work what is the issue?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Thank you Scott
I was really hoping not to spend $9 on this.
Can you please explain why is is not a good way?
If its going to work what is the issue?
What I concerned was the current may destroy the carbon of VR(potentiometer) and reduce the usage life and causes some other problems, if you don't care that then you can try it, because that is a really simple way.

If you can find the wirewound variable resistor and that is worth to try, but it is more expensive.

Aswinth

Joined Nov 1, 2016
Hi all
I would like to build my little girl a bead spinner , my background is software so I have limited electronics background.
I have some old hardware laying around that I would like to use for this project
the goal is to be able to run this motor in multiple speeds using a potentiometer.

Here is the list of items I have:
A motor i pulled from old printer (I'm pretty sure its 12v rated, tested it on 12v its working fine, not working on 9v)
I have a 12v 1500ma rated power supply
2 Potentiometers one is rated 10K the other is 50K
Bunch of different resistors (10,100,200,330,1K,2K,10K,220k?5.1K, 1M, and big 10 Ohm 2w resistors)
On off switch.

I uploaded images of the hardware here: https://imgur.com/a/MC0n3xq

Appreciate if you guys can assist designing this simple circuit.
Thank you!
Apart from what you have you either have to buy a 555 timer or an Aduino Microcontroler. Keeping in mind that you have some software experience I think it would be a better choice to buy an Arduino than spending your time with 555 timer circuits. This way you should also be able to do lot of more electronics projects in future.

Still if you like to stick on to 555 Timer then #2 post is the way to go. Or if you have changed your mind for an Arduino then the project will very simple additional you have to use an motor driver module also like L293D. You can refer for circuit diagram and code here

https://circuitdigest.com/microcontroller-projects/dc-motor-control-with-arduino-uno-pwm