Delta sigma ADC with gain > 128

Vindhyachal Takniki

Joined Nov 3, 2014
1. I have application where I need to measure strain (quarter bridge three wire) of 120ohm.
2. This is power sensitive application so I am using small current to excite strain bridge isntaed of voltage.
As I can switch off current source when not required.

3. I am using 24 bit adc - ADS1248 with internal current source.
4. Is there any high precision adc with PGA > 128 ?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
1. I have application where I need to measure strain (quarter bridge three wire) of 120ohm.
2. This is power sensitive application so I am using small current to excite strain bridge isntaed of voltage.

As far as I know, no one makes a D-S A/D with gain > 128. And I use these kinds of parts often (most often, ADS1242).

You could drop your Vref to as low as possible (0.5V, I think) or add a high-quality instrumentation amp between the bridge and A/D.

Both solutions will add noise. You can average multiple readings to improve noise performance.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

Joey's right... most ADCs have an internal amplifier that works at up to a gain of 8, and after that they implement "digital scaling" which is nothing more than a specially filtered multiplication of the signal obtained from the gain-8 instrumentation amplifier.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Joey's right... most ADCs have an internal amplifier that works at up to a gain of 8, and after that they implement "digital scaling" which is nothing more than a specially filtered multiplication of the signal obtained from the gain-8 instrumentation amplifier.
The PGA in a delta sigma is digital, but it's not "faking" the gain. In fact, the input referred noise level drops with increased gain.

I use the ADS1242 with 128 PGA, and it works quite well.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The PGA in a delta sigma is digital, but it's not "faking" the gain. In fact, the input referred noise level drops with increased gain.

I use the ADS1242 with 128 PGA, and it works quite well.
I use an old model by Intersil, an HI7190. I found it difficult to program and use... I'm gonna take a look at that ADS1242 of yours, see if it's an improvement... thanks