delay circuit with relay , resistor and capacitor

Safar.na.zizi

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Im using 3kohm resistor and 10u f capacitor.. if my power supply is dc110v and relay rated voltage is dc48v..with coil resistance 2.6k ohm..i can calculate the delay time with this equation?
T=-rc ln (1-Vc/Vs)?

andre_teprom

Joined Jan 17, 2016
No, the electrical design of the relay is done in such a way that you can simply apply a voltage on its bobin terminals, and the current limit is done by it bobin wire's resistence..

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Not needed to consider coil resistance of the relay?
Yes.

If you are operating a 48 V relay with a 110 V power source, then the relay coil resistance is critical. The first thing to do is to calculate the resistors necessary to protect the relay. The delay time calculation canot be started until this step is completed.

First calculate the current through the relay coil at 48 V using the relay coil resistance, and call that Irelay.
Next, subtrace 48 V from your 110 V source, and call that Vr.
Next calculate the total resistor value Rtot based on Vr and Irelay.
Next, calculate the total resistor power Pr, based on Rtot and Irelay.
Now you know the total resistance needed to protect the relay, and the total power that resistance has to dissipate. You want to use a resistor rated for at lease twice that power level for long-term reliability. If you can't buy a single resistor to do the job, you can use two resistors in parallel. Each resistor must have twice your calculated Rtot value.

After all of that is done, you can calculate the capacitor value needed to get the time delay you want. How long a time delay do you need?

ak

andre_teprom

Joined Jan 17, 2016
In fact, I was not considering the circuit that Safar originally posted there. Although can work with no accuracy, it is not too usual set delay time based on its coil resistence, which a priori could vary a lot, because is not one of the parameters that define its main features

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I think that is an amateur drafting mistake, and the two arrows to the left, not connected together, connect to a load circuit or device.

ak