Deciphering complex capacitor circuit

maxn

Joined Dec 14, 2005
Would you please recomend a simple method for finding an equivalent capacitance of a complex circuit with capacitors only? I am having a hard time, knowing how to redraw the circuit diagram and establishing correct relationship between the capacitors(parallel vs series). Of course this causes me to get a wrong calculated value for equivalent capacitance. The example I have read so far, have few (5) or less capacitors, with capacitor relationship very obvious to a beginner like myself. My homework problems have more than 5 with lines going all kind of ways (clearly made this way to confuse us). How do I read the lines or diagram of complex circuit correctly. I thought I understood junctions splits of the circuit diagram. But I keep getting major errors.
Please help. Thank you much. Sincerely.

pavelari

Joined Jan 11, 2006
i can't understand your question very well but i think, you need from substitute diagrams like:

/c1, 1 μ F, 24v/ and /c2, 2 μ F, 24v/, series is equal to one capacitor /c, 1 μ F, 48v/
in parallel /c, 3 μ F, 24V/

principe: in paralel voltage is the lowest in series the capacitet is the lowest
in paralel sum the capacitet in series sum voltage

alim

Joined Dec 27, 2005
Originally posted by pavelari@Jan 11 2006, 06:21 AM
i can't understand your question very well but i think, you need from substitute diagrams like:

/c1, 1 μ F, 24v/ and /c2, 2 μ F, 24v/, series is equal to one capacitor /c, 1 μ F, 48v/
in parallel /c, 3 μ F, 24V/

principe: in paralel voltage is the lowest in series the capacitet is the lowest
in paralel sum the capacitet in series sum voltage
[post=13033]Quoted post[/post]​
What you have most likely is a series prallel circuit. identify the parallel circuit/s solve it/them and solve for a series cct. with resultant parallel value/s in place.

pavelari

Joined Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by alim@Jan 11 2006, 09:57 AM
What you have most likely is a series prallel circuit. identify the parallel circuit/s solve it/them and solve for a series cct. with resultant parallel value/s in place.
[post=13041]Quoted post[/post]​
send to me a principal cct and what you want to know ...

chesart1

Joined Jan 23, 2006
Hi,

Like others have said, the actual circuit presented in the problem would help.

Here are a few ideas:

If your circuit or any portion of it resembles a wheatstone bridge, you could use the bridge formulae found in your text book.

Likewise, if a portion of the circuit resembles a T network or a PI network, you could use the corresponding formulae from your textbook.

John

DC2002

Joined Jan 24, 2008
Hmm , assuming that there are no simple series or parallel combinations that could be solved with the series,// formulas. like a bridge circuit made only of capacitors , you could give the circuit an operating frequency and then find the capacitive reactance (Xc=1/(2piFC) ) then use the delta to wye (pi to t) conversions ... solve for an equivalent reactance , then use the Xc=1/(2piFC) to find the C , I guess
hope it helps
DC