Debate About Vaccinations Heats Up

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I am not saying to get vaccinated or not to get vaccinated.
What I am trying to determine is why/how the issue of the alleged connection between vaccines and autism arose to begin with.

Vaccines of the 1950s and 60s era didn't produce any problems. Of all the many factors affecting children's health and development, why is there now a focus on vaccines?

Furthermore, the government providing immunity to vaccine makers is an extraordinary legal gesture that has been reserved for contractors to the military. That alone is suspicious.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I am not saying to get vaccinated or not to get vaccinated.
What I am trying to determine is why/how the issue of the alleged connection between vaccines and autism arose to begin with.

Vaccines of the 1950s and 60s era didn't produce any problems. Of all the many factors affecting children's health and development, why is there now a focus on vaccines?

Furthermore, the government providing immunity to vaccine makers is an extraordinary legal gesture that has been reserved for contractors to the military. That alone is suspicious.
So, you have a question about vaccines and their correlation to autism, then when EVERYONE who bothers to respond to your post tells you that there is no correlation, you change your question to "why do vaccine makers have immunity" and you seem passionately attached to these questions and appear to want a real answer. Well, I must admit, name-calling might need to start here. Do you look for information on elevator repair in a forum? If so, what forum is your preferred source of elevator repair information... Beauty.com? MyTractor.com? Let me know.

When I want information, real information, I google it. I also start with an open mind that will lead me to reliable sources like peer-reviewed scientific journals, reasonably credible media, federal register, reference books and text books. Also, look for facts, not opinions. If you drill down and find the real story behind your questions, you will see that you title is completely unnecessary - there is no reason to debate your simple questions. Factual answers exist.

The researcher who was fired and had his medical license pulled made a simple correlation to the fact that a highly effective preservative, thimerosal, used in vaccines contained some part-per-million level of mercury. He then heard that autism is a growing issue. He then jumped to the hypothesis and conclusion that autistic kids act like they have some level of mercury poisoning. You can clearly look up the history. Because of this kook, the thimerosal that was used since the 1930s in vaccines was replaced with other carefully vetted preservatives.

If you still don't believe that this. Doctor's data was skewed, there is now a significant population of unvaccinated kids that we can monitor as a control group - and, yes, they are monitored. What percent do you think have autism? Closer to zero or closer to the rest of the population?

As for why vaccine manufacturers have immunity (no joke intended but the phrasing is funny), it's simple, too many lawsuits for a low-margin business in the 1970s and 1980s. Most companies were closing their vaccine divisions and the small companies could not afford the liability insurance. The ?US was at risk of not having a vaccine supply. The National Childhood Vaccine Injury Compensation Program was started in 1986. And still, you are wrong, it is not an immunity from liability program. There are certain caps on compensation and a victim cannot use the argument "you never told me there are risks". There is no jury, just a judge panel. However, if the victim is not happy with the outcome, they can still file in civil court (still with a few restrictions of, "you never told me the risk").

All of your questions have up debatable answers. Yes, you can dive deeper and ask whether All vaccines should be covered by National Childhood Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, or why the doctor was not punished more, but your high level questions have clear, u debatable answers. Look them up if you want them. If you want to act like a troll, keep arguing here.

So, vaccines were never accused of causing autism, a preservative was. Also, that preservative is no longer used in most childhood vaccine programs.

Also, nearly a billion dollars in lawsuits have been paid to vaccine victims since the 1986 law was made. Mostly related to infections caused by poor handling of materials during manufacturing, cross contamination and so on.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It can be traced back to a single fraudulent paper that was later retracted, combined with the old problem of confusing correlation and anecdotes with causation. This issue has been intensely studied and the conclusion is clear: Vaccinations don't cause autism.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I do not believe any report or study caused this.

Bad reports and studies are blamed by the supporters(not the parents) for this.

The reason that there is concern is because thousands of parents have seen mental changes in their children shortly after vaccinations. This is the only reason. The enlightened sidestep these facts with studies.

You see in our new liberal society, regular folks are not smart enough to make these decisions. Nothing at all happened to these children, the parents are just emotional.

We must trust the enlightened to protect us.

The enlightened just released 30,000 foreign criminals into society.

Don't let this perverse society near your kids, home school.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Resorting to name calling is not going to solve the issue. Just give the facts or don't give me anything.
It's facts vs the pseudoscience of the Black Helicopter cranks. The facts are a Megaton. The anti-vax side is a firecracker that makes adults laugh and children cry.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I never paid much attention to all of this till recently. I grew up in an era when Polio and other diseases were finally being eradicated. I have a few friends who were victims of polio and similar diseases. I was also fortunate as a child as my grandfather was a doctor. He was also a strong supporter of vaccinations for children. Regardless of my own views from decades ago this issue finally found its way into our family.

Last August my son and his fiance blessed us with another grandchild. Allison, a well educated dental hygienist did everything right through her entire pregnancy and strictly followed the orders of her OBGYN doctor. Parker was a perfect baby and as healthy as can be. Allison hails from a large family in the Youngstown, Ohio area. Her family includes a cousin with a few small children. This cousin opposes vaccination of any type as a result of reading much of the current data out there regarding vaccination. Her children have never been vaccinated against any common disease. Because of this Allison simply refuses to have her child around the family's children. Obviously at less than a year old Parker has not been vaccinated yet. Allison and my son discussed this with their pediatrician who supports their decision and thinking. The fact that Allison and my son choose to have Parker immunized I am pleased with, however it is their decision as parents. I also respect the decision of Allison's cousin not to have her children immunized. While I do not approve of her decision it is her decision to make.

We live in a very small world. Diseases unheard of in the US or GB for decades are only a few hours away by plane and seem to be finding their way inside our boarders. Possibly those not immunized have something to worry about and maybe not. Given a choice I choose immunization. There also seems to be no shortage of people out there looking for something to believe in or a cause as well as those who seem to thrive on conspiracy theory. I am neither being of sound analytical mind. People have a right to believe as they so choose and I respect that right. I do not hear things that go bump in the night and if something does go bump in the night I'll likely simply shoot it.

Ron

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
'Facts' are pretty easy to find - type vaccination or immunisation into google and choose the reputable sites: NIH, national science academies, national medical associations, WHO etc..
One may also check the many links already posted on this very thread. It's useless to post links that nobody will actually read.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
One may also check the many links already posted on this very thread. It's useless to post links that nobody will actually read.
"One" isn't here to read links. "One" is here to post inflammatory statements on the wrong website instead of researching the facts for himself.