Debate Cable Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Debating. The once pinnacle of American and English and probably other civilized countries.

It has fallen by the wayside.

Replaced by 'tried by the press'.

They have all this 'stuff' on cable.A debate channel sure would be helpful.

What moved me to this was Googling Red Cross.

Bloomberg News popped up.'Don't donate to the Red Cross'. Just lovely.Red Cross is 'Government Mandated Body'.

That was given as reason not to donate. Wonderful logic there!

Debating channel would need extra special attention to proper moderating.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I know everyone has to make a living, but I was a little staggered to read of the Red Cross CEO salary.
Marsha J. Evans, President and CEO of the American Red Cross receives a salary for year ending of $651,957 plus expenses.
That was some time ago!
Max.

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Thank you Max!

I forgot a 'forum rule'. Only talk about one thing at a time.

Okay. It was a mistake putting that example in the post.

When you watch the English parliament arguing or debating.

It seems different than speakers in the Congress and Senate.

Maybe there are rules they use.

Another thing. The Parliament sounds the same whether you watch one today

or watch one in an old movie.

There must be some kind of method or something.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
It's all just low grade half wit trolling now. Very few people take honest debating seriously anymore and the few who do rarely come up against any opponent that can match wits with them political subjects.

I've watched more political debates this year than I have in my life and it always comes down to whoever is representing the liberal/whatever (non-conservative/non-objective/non-rationalized) view getting trashed for not knowing basic stuff about their own party or its direction and intent then going full idiot troll as a defensive tactic.

(Feel free to delete this, but no one else's, for being offensive and political because I made references to. half wits, trolls ,politics and political party references, and generalized idiots in my post.) :rolleyes:

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Thank you TCM!

That is kind of the point.

What do we learn from seeing some protest on tv?

Not much. Just that so many people somehow showed up there and are against something.

A debating outlet would open up the discussion about 'Why is this and that not good?'

'Are there ways to correct the situation?'

That all gets lost in the yelling and screaming.'Overcharged emotions' I believe it's called.

Needs to be a return to civilized behaviour.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
What is "debate"? Is it something new? What could be funner than yelling back and forth? No preparation necessary. Just a loud wet voice and stamina. We all can participate.

This debating sounds discriminatory to me. So as long as there is no standards.....it should be ok.

You keep forgetting or don't realize....that the children are in charge now.

A Berkley Debate. They film them regularly now. The team is in black uniforms. Yes...the Berkley debating team has uniforms. It's always been preppy.

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Thank you BR-549

Debate show could be weekly. Daily would be a little much.

High quality moderating would be a must.

There are lots of topics from small to big that would be good ones.

It is a little hard to put 'the genie back in the bottle' when national discussion has

sunk to this level.

Think it's too much instant this and instant that.

Sort of Baby Boomer Me Generation behaviour mutating into some runaway syndrome.

Smartphone syndrome. I need the answer to this in 5 seconds or I go into Agitation Cycle'.

Sit through a 30 minute debate without 'Bread and Circuses'?

Computer generated special affects and pandering 'scary ' news bits or steaming sex suggestions.

Debate show looks like a tough sell.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Thank you TCM!

That is kind of the point.

What do we learn from seeing some protest on tv?

Not much. Just that so many people somehow showed up there and are against something.

A debating outlet would open up the discussion about 'Why is this and that not good?'

'Are there ways to correct the situation?'

That all gets lost in the yelling and screaming.'Overcharged emotions' I believe it's called.

Needs to be a return to civilized behaviour.
Rather been my peeve for most of this year iscne the more political aspects of our country came under fire.

I for one like honest open debate, or discussion in general and tend to watch a fair amount of it one as I can find it but the problem is the overall range of what is legitimately decent debate material tends to be somewhat limited. Hard science and engineering facts tend to be pretty hard to debate being there isn't really two sides of a physical law or action.

Same with scientific grey areas and their workings. There's a limit to how far anyone can interpret a scientific oddity before it loses it's plausible credibility in fitting into reality.

Interestingly enough even in political debates there is practical reality based limit to how far any view can be pushed before it's just someone pandering to naive ignorant nonsensical dreamed up theory's being pretty much every major political /governance system has either already been tried or is in use today and it limits found for both good and bad found and well defined. Personally I side with our American system as we have it now given no other system of government allows for the range and scope of freedoms we have on every level.

Now that said, I enjoy seeing real honest professionally done debates on such topics being if the two person have their facts and realities up to date and are on top of things it's very educational regardelss of who is a proponent for what.

The problem is as of today so few who support any form of political system or process have the first clue as to what it is they feel so strongly about and that's why any debate, either professionally or personally, more often or not doesn't work out too well now.

Too often one side has it facts together and the other does not and it becomes painfully obvious quickly then the uninformed side drops to low wit tactics and trying their best to derail the topics the capable side brings up. .
Especially if the losing side lacks the self respect, dignity and professional capacity to take defeat or, with too many now, basic correctional their false views and claims without trying to pass the at point of truth off as being racist, bigoted, sexist, anti this that or othe. If you can't support your own views to the point you can objectively and rationally support yourself when asked to do so and find going half wit troll is the only way to get out of it you really need to rethink your life values relating to your views, self respect, dignity education and goals.

If your less than 10 years old and find playing idiot troll and feigning being a proud failure or just too stupid to understand the reality of things that have ebene factually presented to you because you don't want to hear them, all while destroying your own respect or credibility in what you consider a win while being a total poor sport to the point you make yourself look like delusional bind fool and self defeating failure in life on top of everything else just to feel like you some how diminished the significance of your opponent win, you really honestly have some serious life value problems that desperately need sorting out.

Then there the further out debate topic of religion and whose invisible being is better than who's and who credits that being with what action s and or influences in their life or if they don't acknowledge one at all. No win or lose on that area as far as I can see it. To me it's like debating what the color of "clear" is and to what texture a sold surface of "nothing' has in the rain.

That's my personal views on debate. I really honestly do enjoy the art of it but I can't stand trying to have a debate with those who are too inept in the art and their own understandings of their own life views to carry a debate or discussion any further than to the first time they get shut down hard on a false claim or belief of theirs.

If you can educate me better or me you, or a bit of both, I am all in. But if your goal is just be a idiot fool and troll me with your own proud empty defiant ignorance, no thanks.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
MOD NOTE: The original post was reported (before any replies) as being political. The Mod staff felt that it was borderline and was likely to veer into politics, but that we thought it might not and so opted to take a wait-and-see approach. However, since some members clearly can't resist using it as a platform for their political rants, the thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.