DC supply sudden voltage drop

Kris@UA

Joined Apr 29, 2017
Hi, I am using a DC supply to bias a LED. In the middle of my experiment, I found that the DC supply shuts down from 2.2 V to 0 V making a noise and showing a stack of bars on its display. Why does this happen?

Kris@UA

Joined Apr 29, 2017
The ratings on PS1505 D power supply : 0 to 15 V and 0 to 1 A.
Can you further explain what you meant by not enough current capacity?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Post a schematic of what you have connected to the power supply and describe what you're doing when it "shuts down".

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Do you have a datasheet of the led and powersupply?
How did you connect the led to the powersupply?

Bertus

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Did you connect resistor in series with your led?
Else, most likely, led becomes damaged and power supply is shorted.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hi, I am using a DC supply to bias a LED. In the middle of my experiment, I found that the DC supply shuts down from 2.2 V to 0 V making a noise and showing a stack of bars on its display. Why does this happen?
Not nearly enough information.

What kind of noise? A click? A buzz? A continuous hum? A pop?

What kind of experiment?

What is the exact circuit you have connected to it and what are you doing with it shuts down?

You are probably exceeding the current capability of the supply and either it is detecting the overcurrent or it is heating up and reaching a point where it's thermal protection circuitry shuts down the output.

Kris@UA

Joined Apr 29, 2017
The LED is biased using a tee bias. The experiment is a visible light communication set up where data from waveform generator is modulated over LED.
I found that by turning the amplifier ON (increasing its supply voltage) leads to drop in the voltage level shown on the DC supply panel.

The sound is like a continuous hum, the one we get when the ends of the supply are shorted.

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
A box with an arrow pointing toward it that says, "Tee bias" doesn't give us much to go on.

What is the circuitry inside that box.

I'm assuming that the stuff to the right of the box represents a coax (or other two-lead) cable that has a 20 Ω resistor in series with the LED.

What current is the LED rated at?

What voltage is the DC supply being set to?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
How big is your RF signal?

If the Vf of the diode is 2.2 V (which is just a typical value, not a guaranteed value, by the way) and you are applying 2.2 V, then you will get virtually not current through the diode and are relying on half of the RF signal to raise it above and start conducting.

I would expect that you would want it to be on even without the presence of an RF signal so that your RF signal can modulate it both up and down around the bias point.

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
If RF voltage is 3V RMS, then bias current not exceed 70mA, therefore unusual behavior of DC supply may arise from RF incursion to DC supply. It may happens by 2 reasons - too small inductance of choke or series LC resonance (choke, capacitor) inside Tee bias.
About bias selection. For LED it should be current, not voltage.
Diagrams below shows how LED works on different bias currents (V_rf =3V RMS).
led_bias.png
led_bias_10.png

Last edited: