DC source, Capacitor and LED

dipto

Joined Jun 11, 2015
I have connected a variable capacitor and a LED in series with a DC 9V source. When I vary the capacitor , the brightness of the LED changes. But how it happens?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have connected a variable capacitor and a LED in series with a DC 9V source. When I vary the capacitor , the brightness of the LED changes. But how it happens?
The capacitor will conduct until it's charged. Post a schematic for a better answer.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Means that the variable capacitor is shorted. Test it with an Ohmmeter.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Your 9V source may be pulsing, and the capacitor can pass current will charging. But you'd need a large capacitor for this. Mike's answer seems more likely.

dipto

Joined Jun 11, 2015
Your 9V source may be pulsing, and the capacitor can pass current will charging. But you'd need a large capacitor for this. Mike's answer seems more likely.
no, its just a 9V battery

Techno Tronix

Joined Jan 10, 2015
I think there is 9-volt battery and connect to a 470Ω resistor which is in series with a 100K potentiometer connected to an LED. We use a protection diode in this circuit so that if the 9-volt battery is inserted the wrong way, the LED can be protected from reverse current.