DC motor direction control with timed stops at each end.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Something like this. Note that both limit switches use only the normally closed contacts. Each switch is opened when the traveler hits that end of the travel range. A requirement is that the switch stays open while the traveler comes to a complete stop.

ak
MotorReverseSwitch-2-c.gif

Attachments

Last edited:

Shawn.54

Joined Feb 18, 2016
Thank you for info I am on a phone and did not see second diagram you posted. It will take me some time to put together parts and get it wired but I will informed and I hope you will be around if I get stuck. Thanks again.

Shawn

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You can eliminate wiring by having both L.S.'s in series with the motor conductors, by placing a rectifier diode in parallel with each L.S. switch.
Each diode is forward biased for the return direction.
Max.

Attachments

Shawn.54

Joined Feb 18, 2016
AK
As I look at the diagrams given to me today I see in yours that the two lines that enter the 8 pin Dpdt relay 1&2 pins is - and I thought that 1 had to be -&+ to work coil. Not being smart just was thinking it worked like a solenoid I my be wrong. Please explain I am learning a lot today.

Shawn

Shawn.54

Joined Feb 18, 2016
The good news is I have timer and switches I just need to confirm which relay I need. I think it is a 8 pin dpdt thanks to all.

Shawn

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
As I look at the diagrams given to me today I see in yours that the two lines that enter the 8 pin Dpdt relay 1&2 pins is - and I thought that 1 had to be -&+ to work coil. Not being smart just was thinking it worked like a solenoid I my be wrong. Please explain I am learning a lot today.
In my drawing, the TIMER box has 4 connections just like the image in post #14. The two on the left are the power input to run the timer. The two on the right are the SPST output switch. Pin 2 of the relay coil is connected directly to the - power. Pin 1 of the relay coil is connected to the + power through the timer switch. When the timer output is On, the NO relay contacts are energized. When the timer output is Off, the NC relay contacts are energized.

ak

Shawn.54

Joined Feb 18, 2016
Ok I think I understand I will order a relay asap and get started on hooking it all up I thank you all very much for the help. I will keep you informed. I'm sure I will have questions.

Shawn

Colin55

Joined Aug 27, 2015
It is much better to create your own program on an 8 pin PIC chip rather than muck about trying to modify things that are already built.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
It is much better to create your own program on an 8 pin PIC chip rather than muck about trying to modify things that are already built.
I don't understand this response. The timer, relay, and switches all are purchased components, and are not modified in any way. Given the requirements in post #1, what function would a microcontroller serve? Also, given the TS skill level, I don't think having to buy a PIC development kit, take a few months to learn C++ and how to deal with all of those PIC configuration registers, and then wire up a circuit that requires a separate regulated power supply and some kind of packaging is a rational approach to this problem.

ak

Last edited:

Shawn.54

Joined Feb 18, 2016
I was away from my iPhone most of the day. When I got a chance to sit down I ordered relays I got two it pays to have a spare. And yes simple components that I can hook together is best for me at this point and again thanks for putting up with my lack of knowledge.

Shawn

Shawn.54

Joined Feb 18, 2016
All parts arrived I wired it up and it works like a charm thanks guys would not have got it done without you.

Thanks again
Shawn

Will post pic when I clean loose ends.