DC motor commutator

mick

Joined Jan 21, 2009
I am looking to replace the commutator on the dc motor I have built with some sort of motor controller. The motor is 12v battery into a 220v 100w inverter through a bridge rectifier, choke, 450v 470uf cap. Using 2 neo magnets glued to a 4mm shaft and an electromagnet which is pulsed north to north. All very new to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtKMWjG60B4&feature=PlayList&p=E7200EF7020D58EC&index=86

The motor is similar to this one on you tube (pulse motor).
The magnets on my motor are glued on the shaft north-south which makes
timing it a bit of a challenge. He has a controller instead of a commutator I
would like to do the same which wont fry when I put up to 400v through it.

Last edited:

mick

Joined Jan 21, 2009
Thanks for the reply beenthere. I meant to replace the commutator with a motor controller (PWM??) or something similar that can handle 220-400v+ in the milliamps. The variable part is the controller (duty cycle) and the current. The motor is currently sparking and affecting the performance. If anyone has a schematic or something similar it would be much appreciated.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
The commutator is a physical and electrical connection between the rotating winding and the stationary power input. A controller provides precise levels or pulses of power. One cannot replace a banana with a running shoe, nor a spots sedan with a fishing pond.

Pulse motors and commutated motors are different mechanisms. If your goal is to reduce arcing in your existing motor, try plating the commutator with silver. If your goal is to build a pulse motor, build a pulse motor.

I wish you success, regardless of which endeavor you choose.:)