DC generator voltage regulator

rudyeb

Joined Jan 3, 2018
I am making a generator that is a very small geared DC motor. I need to put it inline to charge 4 Lithium or NiCad 1.5V batteries. I need some guidance on what would be the proper linear voltage regulator to use. The problem I see is that at times the generator may only put out 2-3 V based on its speed with a maximum output of maybe 20V. I need a VR that will handle both of these variables with it keeping the max output at 6VDC. Will I need any other components inline besides the VR?

Thank you

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The best way to regulate a DC generator is obtain a motor with a wound field if you can find one now, it is very easy to implement, you may find an older automotive based one.
Max.

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Do you want to charge the cells in parallel or in series? If in series, will you be using a charge equaliser? There are ICs available for controlling that.

rudyeb

Joined Jan 3, 2018
One other piece of info I failed to mention; the generator will be the input to a USB charger so I think all the necessary current limiter and full charge detector would already be in place.

rudyeb

Joined Jan 3, 2018
The generator is to be a mobile means to supply power to a preexisting charger that is normally powered via a USB.

rudyeb

Joined Jan 3, 2018
Sounds like you need a buck-boost DC-DC converter rather than a simple regulator.
I am involved in this as a mentor to a student doing a STEM/STEAM project. My expertise is as a machinist and am helping him create his idea. My knowledge of electronics is fair but not at this level. If at all possible, I would really appreciate being directed to the proper unit to purchase for this application. Additionally, I intend to use a bridge rectifier to keep the DC polarity the same no matter which way the generator spins. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The advantage of the field regulator is that the rpm can be held at a high rpm with a constant regulated output, the bridge should work as a polarity steering bridge.
Max.

Andrei Suditu

Joined Jul 27, 2016
Search for a dc-dc converter .A buck boost one .It keeps the output constant regardless of input as long as the input is between limits.Also i recommand to use an electrolytic cap after the bridge rectifier in order to smooth the input voltage to the regulator.Also parallel it with a 100nf cap for high frequency transients from the generator or any other input noise.

Engr Tech

Joined Jun 24, 2017
DC/DC converters take voltage from a Direct Current (DC) source and then converts it from a certain DC voltage level to another. They are used to raise or reduce the voltage level of supply voltage. They are often used in automobiles and household electronics.
Source : blog.enrgtech.co.uk/dual-dcdc-converter-power-driver-modules/