DC adapter question (220 vs. 110)

Fastmerc

Joined Feb 20, 2015
I just purchased a piece of equipment for my aquarium. The pump for this runs on DC 24v 1 amp 13W. I ordered this piece from overseas (I am in the US) and it is coming with a 220v 50hz power brick. I realize I can just get a 110v 60hz power brick with the specs I need, but I guess my question is what would happen if I tried to use the supplied one and just changed the plug to fit the socket. I know most power bricks these days are actually capable of converting 110 up to 220 but could this one be specific? Could I easily tell by pulling it open? Its not here yet or I would post pics.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Likely nothing would happen and it wouldn't work. Look at the power supply when it comes in because it may work on 50 ~ 60 Hz and 90 to 250 volts. Now if the latter is written on it just get an adapter plug or if it's corded replace the cord. All depends on how it's made. THere should be data on the label.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It might work or it might not work. Some switchmode power supplies are universal, some are not. If it came from a decent source it may be adequately labeled, if it came from Amazon you are out of luck.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The power brick must have specs written on it otherwise it wouldn’t be legal. What does it say?
I have come across quite a few power bricks and wall warts that have no useful information on them. And what sort of law demands labeling? Never came across that assertion before.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
It might work or it might not work. Some switchmode power supplies are universal, some are not. If it came from a decent source it may be adequately labeled, if it came from Amazon you are out of luck.
That is not quite true. Starting with this one I see dozens designed for 100 ~ 240 VAC inputs. Also every wall wart I have laying here in a box has Input and Output voltage labeled as well as current for the outputs. The link is a 24 VDC 1 Amp (24 watt) unit for $9 USD.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have bought plenty from Amazon and what I get is always like the picture. I have never had a power brick or power adapter less label information and when I have ordered from Amazon I have always gotten whet was in the description.

Ron
Not that the item was the wrong one, but that no information was provided with the item. THAT was my complaint.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Not that the item was the wrong one, but that no information was provided with the item. THAT was my complaint.
What am I missing, the one I linked to states: "World wide input voltage 100-240vac 50/60hz" which pretty much covers it and I have a few in my junk bucket of wall warts which have about the same on them. If whatever the original poster has reflects the same then just get an adapter for the wall outlet and plug it in.

Ron