Day laborer

Discussion in 'Career Advising' started by Motanache, May 13, 2017.

1. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    I recall that Westinghouse was bought by Toshiba and Westinghouse may be filing for Chapter 11. Although the nuclear industry is dead in the water, there are still quite a few plants that are still operating world wide.

I don't believe so called "Green Energy" will make up for all the nuclear plants still operating and they should be kept on line as long as possible.

2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    It is owned by Toshiba (still called Westinghouse Nuclear Power) and it did file Chapter 11 but operating with current staff. The younger engineers are all gone from layoffs over the past five years. Now the baby boomer engineers are trying to retire (bonus for staying so they stay) - it would be a good time to come in with the right skills.

There is no plan to close any good plants (3-mile island will close soon but that has been a problem since the meltdown (running half the assets but maintaining them all).

3. Motanache

Thread Starter Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Notice the silence after I wrote.........this is the answer of friends who understand the situation.

I tried an application on my cell phone-Field Agent. They say they're earning money. Useless. I have not found anything.

4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Educating yourself for a career that requires the limits of your capabilities is rewarding in terms of working hard for a goal but, it is kind of like buying a pair of shoes that requires a shoe horn to put them on every morning. They just don't quite fit and wedging them onto your feet every morning is not much fun.

You are obviously a bright person to get this far and there are many careers that don't even have a college major - mostly on the job training. Logistics, scheduling and inventory control is one that most people doing this are self-taught snd it is obvious the good ones are bright people. This job function reallly determines how much cash is tied up in raw materials and finished product and how efficiently manufacturing equipment is utilized. Kind of odd that such an important function is done by people with on-the-job training and no specific degree.

Only in the last 15 years or so have university programs in Supply Chain management come along but there are not nearly enough graduates to fill all of the jobs.

Several other careers like this exist.

Good luck.

5. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Some reviews of Field Agent

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports...-application-for-store-audits-internet-925457

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Field-Agent-Reviews-E765139.htm

FAQ about field agent

http://app.fieldagent.net/

I'll assume you did your research into the processes.

In the review from ripoffreqport, the first link, a rebuttal gave some hints on ensuring you get your cash.

I am not a user of Field Agent.

https://jobs.physicstoday.org/

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Here ya' go. Time location 3:24
    Judge sentenced to 28 years for selling children into privatized prisons to work for as little as 50 cents per day.
    6500 cases under suspicion.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Here's another one, 12 cents an hour.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    And another one. 12 cents to 40 cents per hour.

9. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    That's not what I meant, but I think you already knew that...

What I meant was having criminals who are convicted (properly, legally, ...) work to pay for their keep so they don't continue to be a burden to society while they're serving time for their crime.

My intent is to not allow prisoners to have free room and board while they're incarcerated (some of them consider time in the "slammer" a vacation). If they're later found innocent, restitution should include any amounts they paid for room and board.

By room and board, I mean any expenses they incur while incarcerated; medical, clothing, etc.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I know exactly what you meant. Prisoners do work and they do it for almost free while the prisons sell their goods and make millions off their slave labor. How many millions do you think they need to pay for mere survival level food, clothing, and medical care?

How about you actually look at those videos and find out how much you don't know?

GopherT likes this.
  11. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    I watched the first one. I think we can all agree that that judge did was wrong. I hope he was sentenced to many years of hard labor for each instance of wrong doing.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Th other two describe the kind of work the adult prisoners do and who gets the products.

GopherT likes this.
  13. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Unicor

History of Unicor

I was introduced to Unicor when it's name was Federal Prison Industries, it was a preferred source of supply for government agencies.

Are they "abusing the prisoners" or "giving them a vocation (other than crime)" Of course with all revenue received, the Legislature branch dictates where it goes. I don't know if Unicor received the funds for the items they sold.

14. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Thanks for that story, Bahn. It struck a chord with me. I live in "The land where opportunities need to be created", and your acquaintance's attitude towards work is something I've always admired in other people. Professionally, everyone needs to find the sweet spot between playing it safe and taking risks while aiming for professional growth. Obviously, your friend is a wise, quick-learner.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    @dl324
    I answered you because you seem to have some picture of prison life as being bored and waiting. The prisoners not only work, they cause serious profits for the prisons. One google, American+Prisons+Profitable brings up hundreds of hits saying things like, $70 Billion gold mine, the majority of prisoners are non-violent, personal use, drug consumers, more prisoners than China, which has 5X the population us the U.S. Think about it, Why would people get life without parole for smoking pot (3 times) if there wasn't a profit in it? The whole war on drugs is a business model.

http://www.dogpile.com/search/web?f...xtpage=True&q=American+prisons+profitable&ql=

16. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    Just search for "Unicor.Gov. and Federal Prison Industries and you'll see why it's profitable to have as many people in the slammer as possible.

17. Motanache

Thread Starter Member

Mar 2, 2015
    What's more shameful?Looking in garbage or begging?
    It's not my case, but I want to prepare myself morally.

That's what helps me keep calm.
    Employers are like women. If they see you desperately they are afraid of you.
    They feel very easy that you are desperate. Whatever you do.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  18. Motanache

Thread Starter Member

Mar 2, 2015
    It's a great idea.

But I read that Uber check your car to look good. I have a car older than 20 years.
    Worth to try?

19. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Check uber's rules. They specify the model years that are acceptable. That doesn't prevent them from actually looking at your car to see that it is acceptable.