David Bowie

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Sorry, for me DB was a perfect unknown. I have my preferences on a different singer.

There are theories that your brain starts turning to mush when we are no longer challenged or stimulated.

I don't have proof except some examples of people I've known. I would like for it to be true since I have a pretty active brain. On the other hand, it could be a slow process and, for someone who appears to not be challenging themselves and withering into the background could, in reality, be someone who is already afflicted by brain diseases.
Some time ago I learnt that crime investigators discard suicide when there is evidence of recent plans for the future. Thinking of that, I started to look at the attitude of people as they become older and it seems that you can perceive when they are no longer challenged (or stimulated). Anyway, one thing is true: decline you cannot avoid, and time, in spite of any corollary from Einstein's theories, for us, mere mortals, moves forward.

About some three years ago, we were in a vessel in the middle of the night, inspecting cargo to be discharged in the mornig and the guys with me were joking about my age. At that moment I realized that I was not feeling "old" or "young" but "not what I believed a man of my age would feel". That discovery was somewhat troubling and, at the same time, a relief, because there was not more the "need" to feel like this or that.

Having been working really hard since I was 13yo, on 2014, I started to hate my job, and now, slowly moving into effective retirement, I feel happy of having REAL free time which, no surprise, I devote to one or two espressos a day, and the rest, mostly to Electronics.

I only fear an unusual deterioration that could bring me to bad behaviour of any kind. Hope not.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
@Papabravo

The best quote I've heard lately: Living is not, "survival". You have to find a reason to continue.

My one year confinement with a back injury and the apparent giddiness I manifested after I was able to resume activities show me that I can not be truly happy unless I am busy. (I think I have a Blue Collar gene.) I am not especially skilled at fixing cars, but that's what I'm doing right now. I bought the wiring diagram and the Service Manual for that car. I look up what I need to know. I go to work on it until I get tired and sore, then do it again the next day. The way I say it is, "Persistence across time will accomplish almost anything."

Right now, that car is my reason to continue. I am practicing my lifelong pattern of buying a 10 year old car, restoring at least the functionality of it, and driving it until it rains on the inside. I don't perceive that any special skills are required to remove the seats and wash everything in sight, but then, I don't perceive any special skills are required to be sure the TV is plugged in before you call a service man. Now! When it comes to crawling under the dashboard and looking at the parts until you understand what they are and what they do...that is a Skill. I am in my glory right now. I fell asleep last night planning how to attack the broken flap which controls the air to the dashboard vents. I have a reason to continue today.

My personal prayer: Dear Deity, please let me be healthy until the day before I die, and if I can't have that, I will settle for sane.

That's all I'm doing. I'm maintaining my health, both physical and mental, by having something to do. It isn't especially brilliant. It isn't cash profitable. It's just being in tune with my body and mind, and what they need to be healthy. I climb and crawl and perform contortions. I look and discover and learn as I go. That's what my life has always been about.

Last edited:

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
He was 69 and it is amazing that he lived that long considering his early years. Whatever anyone may think of his music, he had a sharp mind and amazing creativity.

With the state of the world today, I fear we will never experience music as it once was and will be forever subject to pre-manufactured autotunes... just like raspberry pi projects mentioned above.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
With the state of the world today, I fear we will never experience music as it once was and will be forever subject to pre-manufactured autotunes... just like raspberry pi projects mentioned above.
I'm sure people said that about Mozart. The very talented will express their talents in the tools of the day in ways we can't imagine. The raspberry pi is the tinker toy of my youth. Most people will just make a few things with it but those with the talent will build something not in the instruction manual.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
There will always be good music. If you have internet connection you'll be able to find some fresh music to your liking.

The hard part is finding it.

Peace out David.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I'm sure people said that about Mozart. The very talented will express their talents in the tools of the day in ways we can't imagine. The raspberry pi is the tinker toy of my youth. Most people will just make a few things with it but those with the talent will build something not in the instruction manual.
Yes, there was already a discussion somewhere that Bowie was no Bethoven

Wasnt Motzart just Bowie of his time?