David Bowie

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Space Oddity was always my favorite. I didn't care much for him as an actor (though he played an interesting, albeit inaccurate, Nikola Tesla in The Prestige) but his music is legendary.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Just last week I told a guy, "If I see you when I'm 105 years old, I will be very disappointed in you. You should have put me out of my misery long before then."

Life is great when you're young and you only sleep because your brain demands it. Fifty years later, you stop before bedtime because your joints and muscles are so sore that the activity isn't worth the pain it's going to cost. When I was 4, I saw my great grandfather at 90 years old. He didn't have a smile left in him.:(

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think outliving all my friends would be a major bummer.
I still have a few friends left, but I outlived all my co-workers about a year ago.:( Can't believe the last one went out at 56 years old! I knew the old guys that taught me in the 1970s would go before me, but I had a crew of younger ones, and they all scattered to different states or died. Between that and being out with a back problem for a year, my local business activities are nearly zero.

I guess that's why I'm rehabilitating a used car. All eight seats are out and douched. The entire interior has been cleaned and de-odorized. Today, I couldn't find any dog odor. I got the air conditioner running, air to the floor and the dashboard vents, hot and cold on demand, and the fan fairly roars on high speed because it isn't sucking on that broken air flap any more. Oh well. It keeps me busy, has all the gears it was born with, and doesn't rain on the inside. In a few months, it will be my daily car.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I still have a few friends left, but I outlived all my co-workers about a year ago.:( Can't believe the last one went out at 56 years old! I knew the old guys that taught me in the 1970s would go before me, but I had a crew of younger ones, and they all scattered to different states or died. Between that and being out with a back problem for a year, my local business activities are nearly zero.

I guess that's why I'm rehabilitating a used car. All eight seats are out and douched. The entire interior has been cleaned and de-odorized. Today, I couldn't find any dog odor. I got the air conditioner running, air to the floor and the dashboard vents, hot and cold on demand, and the fan fairly roars on high speed because it isn't sucking on that broken air flap any more. Oh well. It keeps me busy, has all the gears it was born with, and doesn't rain on the inside. In a few months, it will be my daily car.
I wish I had your skill and determination. I saved my nickels when I was young, kept my cars for an average of 17 years. My oldest vehicle is a 1990 Ford Ranger, and the Ford guys keep bitchin' because nobody knows how to work on it any more. Things just fall to pieces when you get old.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Death is life's great re-invention trick... Rest in peace, Mr David Jones, your originality will be missed

Space Oddity was always my favorite. I didn't care much for him as an actor (though he played an interesting, albeit inaccurate, Nikola Tesla in The Prestige) but his music is legendary.
DS, did you ever watch Labyrinth? I thought it was pretty good acting from his part

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Things just fall to pieces when you get old.
I'm 51, and I don't really feel old. Of course, there are parts of my body that are definitely refusing to obey my commands... then again, I'm under the impression that if there's something that you have aplenty when you reach old age is time.

One goes into retirement, your children are all (hopefully) college grads and self-sufficient... if you married right you have a harmonious domestic life... well then... why not:
  • learn to play a musical instrument
  • learn a new language
  • explore creative venues such as sculpture, reading/writing, painting, beer/wine making, etc
Why is it that most (though definitely not all) really old people I know grow despondent?

But maybe my problem is that I witnessed a life example from my grandmother that I thought was normal at the time... that is until I learned better... She lived to be 101, and one of the last things she said was "life's just so short". She never, ever, lost her wits. And she only lost her physical self-sufficiency one year before she passed away... she set the bar too high for the rest of us...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There are theories that your brain starts turning to mush when we are no longer challenged or stimulated.

I don't have proof except some examples of people I've known. I would like for it to be true since I have a pretty active brain. On the other hand, it could be a slow process and, for someone who appears to not be challenging themselves and withering into the background could, in reality, be someone who is already afflicted by brain diseases.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
There are theories that your brain starts turning to mush when we are no longer challenged or stimulated.

I don't have proof except some examples of people I've known. I would like for it to be true since I have a pretty active brain. On the other hand, it could be a slow process and, for someone who appears to not be challenging themselves and withering into the background could, in reality, be someone who is already afflicted by brain diseases.
I agree about the brain turning to mush.
I find that my generation and those younger than me are now lacking passion, drive and creativity. Personally, I am convinced that the internet is now doing harm with that. A classic example is myself (which I am now changing). Before my dad had internet I would read many non-fiction books such as astronomy, physics, history and all other things.

Then....the internet arrived! Ever since I have slowly become less creative with the avaialbe information online. How do I design this? Bugger it, just google it! Why try to invent your own solution. Problem with my circuit? Just ask for some help and while I wait just mess around on youtube etc. But I hate this approach to life and have begun to change it.

If I have a problem, I will solve it! If I need to design something, I will design the darn thing myself! If I need help with a circuit I will never ask unless I have exhausted all my options. Currently I am trying to create a receiver and having many problems such as the Q of the LC tank and creating inductors but instead of crying online I am learning so much by teaching myself.

I dont know if many others here feel the same way but I really believe that social media and news in general does more harm than good.

One other thing that pops into mind is consumerism. Now that all the kids in school have a raspberry pie does it really make them any better with computer hardware of software? Will they be as driven as those in the past to create? Just because you can find reports on those who do interesting projects does not mean that everyone of that generation is doing the same. I guess what I miss is the chase, the chase of information where to find something out you had to REALLY go out of your way to get it. Walk to the library and search amongst the books or track people down and ask.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
I think outliving all my friends would be a major bummer.
Yeah, that would be really bad and lonely. But at the same time, someone has to!
I never ment to imply that you did not care. I totaly agree that we all have to go at some point but because I am just young I am not ready for it ;)