Dave Jones on Pickit-3

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The bad thing about the internet is once something is on there it's there forever.

Just how old is that video?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Sadly it's still mostly true, the PK2 stand alone was a nifty tool that the PK3's version is only a shadow of.
Interesting. I bought the PICkit 2 instead of the 3 based primarily on Jones' video, and I never really understood Microchip's video response. I sort of inferred that Microchip made some changes to the 3 in response to Jones' criticism. Sadly, the truth is that I don't really understand the differences, but I am glad that you think I bought the better one.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Did you see Microchip's response video? It's quite hilarious, and based on Dave's video, they decided to make some changes. If you go out and buy a PK3 now, it is MUCH better than when Dave first reviewed it. Most, if not all, of the issues he had have been resolved in the later versions.

EDIT: Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YUvlrVlNao

sorry but that video is old, actually if you see the uploader' comments (dave) you can check he says that most bugs of pk3 have been corrected and "go and buy it"

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
Interesting. I bought the PICkit 2 instead of the 3 based primarily on Jones' video, and I never really understood Microchip's video response. I sort of inferred that Microchip made some changes to the 3 in response to Jones' criticism. Sadly, the truth is that I don't really understand the differences, but I am glad that you think I bought the better one.
The PICKit 2 is better than the PICKit 3 in every way, except that the PK3 supports the newest PICs.

When they came out with the PK3 it was crap compared to the PK2. Dave complained via video and they made changes to bring it back closer to the PK2.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
When referring to the main function of the PICkits, that being programming and debugging of PICs, the PICkit III is the hands down winner. Period. End of story.

Sorry if someone mislead you here. While both devices work similarly and at about the same speed the new version III covers more parts.

So if you only bought version II you are left out of using the latest parts until you buy the latest programmer version III.