Darn! That Itch Is Back Again, Even Worse Than Last Year...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Darn. I'm starting to think I may have to postpone my trip if this coronavirus thing doesn't clear up REALLY quickly. The last damn thing I need is to be driving cross-country and being unable to get food or a room for the night.

I went shopping yesterday at the local supermarket. Not a single roll of TP in the place. Also gone or largely depleted: pasta, pasta sauces, canned soups, ground beef (?), canned vegetables, pork, and frozen dinners.

The store was practically deserted. I remarked about that to the checkout clerk, and he said vast crowds were there over the weekend and cleaned the place out like a horde of locusts.

Driving through town on the way to the store, the streets were practically deserted; normally at that hour it would be bumper-to-bumper, stop-and-go traffic.

The parking area out front of our apartment complex has 40 parking spots. Normally at mid-day there would be about 5-10 cars in the lot, with everyone else gone to work. Yesterday I counted 36 cars in the lot.

Nothing is open in town; it's dead. How long are things going to be this way, I wonder?

Go as planned, in early May? Postpone until after Labor Day (I don't drive during the summer; too many other vacationers on the road)? Cancel altogether?

Opinions are welcome. What do you think?
It would be a road-trip to remember. If you avoid staying in large cities things like supplies and rooms should be fine. I'm planning a short road trip this weekend up to Mt. Hood and down to the High Desert to Madras. Only two days but I'm packing supplies to last a week at a camp.

Kjeldgaard

Joined Apr 7, 2016
Yesterday, Tuesday, we got a lot more restrictions here in Denmark.
For example, no gatherings of more than ten people - indoor and outdoor.
No serving in restaurants and other eating places, but the take away is still allowed.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
If you do decide to take the trip, I think it'd be a memorable trip, as Nsa's just said. If only for the extremely low amount of traffic you're likely to encounter. You'd be driving and sightseeing at your own pleasure.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Well if some of this is a rerun you know we can do dinner again. :) I enjoyed that.
I did too. At this point it looks like the return trip from Cali will be taking a southern route, possibly I-40. If I go I-70 instead, I could scoot up I-71 from Columbus OH to Cleveland if we want to do dinner. If we do, this time it's on me.

No bars or restaurants open in Illinois, and I think Wisconsin will follow. A vacation without eating out? No thanks.
My sediments exactly; no food, no travel.

If you do decide to take the trip, I think it'd be a memorable trip, as Nsa's just said. If only for the extremely low amount of traffic you're likely to encounter. You'd be driving and sightseeing at your own pleasure.
Light traffic is the reason I make my trips at the times I do: late Spring, May/June-ish while the kiddies are still in school and Mom and Dad aren't gallivanting all around the US cluttering up the highways and crowding the hotels. Or, which I may do this time instead, late summer/early fall starting shortly after Labor Day when the kids will be back in school again. Driving while families are on their summer vacation is a real PITA: the lookie-lookers clutter the roads and drive erratically, they crowd the hotels and their kids are noisy at night, and they make stopping for meals very unenjoyable.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
At 73, I know that if infected, my chances are limited.

For that, when Italy started to lead the statistics, I cancelled with no doubt a 5-days voyage not too far from here.

I also cancelled two events (barbeques) one of them for 16 people. Better safe than sorry.

/Edit
Forgot to comment: prior to enter in self induced quarantine at home, I went to the supermarket.

No food, no TP, no toothpicks, nothing. They made me panic too.

/Edit

IMG-20200318-WA0004.jpg

Last edited:

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
That's some serious boozin'. I can't compete-- I'm still working on the same bottle of vodka I bought 12 years ago, and an 8 year old bottle of rum. At this rate they'll probably last me the rest of my life...

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Nice opportunity to remind you of Alto Las Hormigas and notice you of a new player: a gentle sparkling wine "Alta Vista" labeled as "brute nature". Bought two cases after tasting it for the first time at my friend's home.
I will check out your advice. Still looking for some wines from Baja California, Mexico per Cesar (@cmartinez ), but for some strange reason, they are hard to get here (Ohio). I have been checking from well before American TG day last year. I really do like a hearty wine.

I have not gotten into sparking wine. My usual is sparkling Scotch, but will check it out.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
There is also the other reason to postpone your trip.
Until they get a good treatment going for this bug, there is a chance you may actually help spread it as you drive about. I think it is wise to stay home and watch some good movies.