Darn thunderstorms keep going south

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
We had temperatures in the mid 90's all day today in Pittsburgh, and my job requires me to be outside for 8 hours loading stuff. It was fun..... But yea we cant complain spinnaker, we dont live in a state where 120 is a normal thing in July.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I am watching those darn thunderstorms keep going south
In TN: They haven't brought much rain, and our power has been out 3 times from the wind damage, hardly seems worth it.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
We get storms here, but where I live geographically, they SPLIT EVERY TIME!!!
A weather front will head for us, and part will go above us, part below.I think it has something to do with lake michigan and chicago, part of it wants to follow along the shore of lake michigan, part of it continues on its course and heads south of us.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I suspect their is a critical size for cities. Dallas used to have fronts (with thunderstorms) go over us all the time. The city kept growing though, now we see the fronts split, go around, and reform. I think it is a hot spot.

DumboFixer

Joined Feb 10, 2009
Here in the UK many of us are still, officially, under drought conditions despite the fact that we've had a month's worth of rain in one day (just under 5 inches) and the wettest June on record.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Give us a first hand account of the rain situation where ever you are in the UK.

Edit: and the heat wave and power outage in the US.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I suspect their is a critical size for cities. Dallas used to have fronts (with thunderstorms) go over us all the time. The city kept growing though, now we see the fronts split, go around, and refrm. I think it is a hot spot.
Yah its the cement creating more heat. Here the weather paterns have just stopped. For the past 200 years it rained everyday every summer at 4:30pm. Now its rained 1 week in a front and nothing else.l Something is very different the past couple of years. And its getting worse each year.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
It's been pretty rainy the last few months. We usually get a high pressure system that settles over the country for weeks at a time in summer, but it hasn't happened this year, we seem to get some rain every day. It's supposed to be something to do with the jet stream being in the wrong place.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I suspect their is a critical size for cities. Dallas used to have fronts (with thunderstorms) go over us all the time. The city kept growing though, now we see the fronts split, go around, and reform. I think it is a hot spot.
Possibly heat, possibly skyscrapers changing the wind patterns
Probably some of both
I know that chicago is the splitting point for many weather fronts that split and go around us
Split just after chicago, reform on the other side of Fort Wayne
watched it on the radar time after time

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I would bet a tenner on the concerete.

Glider pilots look out for things such as roads and built up areas, because these often create strong thermals - rising heat.

Which would divert a low front.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I agree that it is probably mostly the concrete, but I remember a picture somewhere of a low weatherfront curling up infront of a city just before the skyscrapers
can't find it though :p

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I think that was Hawaii, and it was the fog rolling in from the ocean meeting the resort hotels. Very small scale weather.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I live in Katy, which is outside houston. Houston is the largest sprawling expanse of concrete anywhere around here. We will often get rain in Katy that just goes right around Houston. Houston is not really known for being a big cluster of super skyscrapers.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
huh? oh, sorry, I didn't realize it was a magnet18 dogpile. :) I thought we were all just giving our opinions and yours was the only one who's wasn't that concrete is the cause.